Filter Question

Jun 11, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Hello, I have been using the BBB system for the last couple of years, but now I have a question about your preferences for filter type. My current sand filter needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure about replacing it with another sand filter or moving to a cartridge filter. My pool is an inground pool that is t-shaped and holds about 30000 gallons. I've heard the cartridge filters can be alot less maintenance, but would like to hear from actual owners. Thanks.

Daryl

As to comparing sand vs cartridge, I cannot help. Since I've had the pool for just over 18 months I've never even had cloudy water so I can't speak to how long it takes to clear anything up.

So far I need to clean it maybe every 2 or 3 months with very light usage of the pool, just two adults, no kids or dogs. I get a lot of sand in the pool from the waterfall and during pollen season I have more stuff that gets past the skimmer socks. I use the skimmer socks all the time now, that first fall was enough work with cleaning out the filter, much better to keep it in the skimmer where I can get it easier.

Cleaning is not a big deal, remove the band, remove the bottom plug, unseat the air release at the top and when the water stops gushing, open it up and take out a few parts then haul the big carts to the driveway to wash with the brass nozzle thing on the hose. I have used Filter Magic spray but can't find it now and these carts are too big to try to soak so this time I skipped that. Then replace it all, being careful to wash off and lube the O-ring, then "tap and tighten" the band. It does take two of us to get the O-ring on but otherwise it is a one person job.

No idea if washing the carts is more water efficient than backwashing as to gallons used. My carts cost $85 and there are 4. I don't know how old these are so they may be in need of replacement soon as the pool is 10 years old. I have been told that cartridges might last 5 to 7 years, so either way that time is coming up soon.

Yes, I've found the skimmer socks to be helpful also. Now that I've removed a troublesome tree, it's cut down tremendously on the larger trash that found its way into the skimmers. What sq ft size is your cartridge filter? Are you saying that your cartridges are $85 each? Anyone have a cartridge system using just one cartridge?

Welcome to TFP!!

With a 30,000 gal pool - it would have to be one BIG cart and would cost more than $85 :shock:

I prefer sand filters, very easy to maintain - especially if you substitute the first 1/4 of the sand with pea gravel, sure, I'd rather clean a set of carts than change out 900 lbs of sand, but carts need cleaning FAR more often than sand needs to be replaced :)

I'm a cartridge guy, and have been for almost 15 years now. I've built hundreds of pools, and have always used cartridge filters on residential pools (I do use sand on commercial pools). I am pretty anal about my personal pool, so I clean my cartridge filter every 6 months, if it needs it or not! I have the StaRite Mod Media 450 SF filter, but I also like the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 SF filter. The Pentair uses smaller individual cartridges than the StaRite, so that might be a consideration as the smaller ones don't weigh as much when you do take them out to clean!

My cartridges in my pool are 8+ years old now. They still clean up like new, and it probably takes me all of 45 minutes to do a top notch job from start to finish when I do clean them. I have crystal clear water (thanks to TFP to a large extent!) and see no reason to ever change from the cartridge filters. No backwashing, no reloading, no channeling; gotta love a cartridge!

You asked for cartridge owners, so that's my .02 :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.