Filter pumps, chemicals, skimmers, oh my! Help!

kb109

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, OH
Okay I’m sure y’all have seen my million questions regarding my brand new Intex round Ultra Frame 18’ x 52” pool. Now we have just started the ground prep and I’m starting to buy things I’ll need for the pool. So far all I have is the stuff that comes with the pool (obviously) and I bought the TF-100 testing kit and a TON of cute inflatable floats/loungers lol!!!

My question is, can someone make a list of everything I need? Which products do you recommend that won’t break the bank? I think I want to upgrade the sand filter pump it came with (Intex Krystal Clear 12” sand filter pump) because several have told me it should be adequate for my 7000 gallon pool. I still want to upgrade to the much more powerful 16” version, though which has stellar reviews on Amazon and only costs $168.

Now which chemicals do I need? I know I need liquid bleach (none of those round puck looking things lol) but how much to get started for the first month or so? Which other chemicals do I need? This is so overwhelming lol

Next, I need skimmer and vacuum suggestions. Sorry for all these questions but it’s my first pool ever and I’m really excited and just want it up and running already! Lol I’m impatient! Thanks everyone!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
The sand filter will be a very good upgrade. Another potential upgrade many intex owners do is to add a thru-wall skimmer if your doens't have one. This helps considerbally by collecting surface debris before it sinks or goes to the sand filter. It also frees-up one (original) wall suction port/hole and allows you to consider splitting that off as another return jet or for a fountain. If you do a search here on the forum for above ground plumbing or thru wall skimmer, you'll see what I mean.

As for chemicals, you'll almost always need at least three - stabilizer (sometimes called conditioner), chlorine (aka regular bleach) and muriatic acid (MA). The bleach and MA never get store together or added to the water at the exact same time. Always store the MA outside away from anything metal you don't want to rust. Most people have a simple rubbermaid-type continer or something outside somewhere. The weather doens't bother MA. If you have small children, make sure it's secure. But once the pool is full of water, run a full set of tests with your TF-100 and you can adjust from there. Fresh/new water will have no CYA (stabilizer), so you can be assured you will need to addd some - a minimum of 30 ppm. Just use the PoolMath tool and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Reactions: kb109

splashpad

Bronze Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
SE Kansas!
Congrats @kb109 I've been watching your posts!

If you haven't, be sure to skim or dive (puns intended) through Pool School, it's got the overviews and in depth instructions for overall pool care and I think suggested care schedule ideas.
I've taken bits of permanent and 'seasonal' pool care ideas to develop our 'regimen'.

And you can use the pucks for your initial setup (use poolmath to figure out how much CYA (aka stabilizer) will be added per "given" amount of pucks). Pucks are not recommended for ongoing maintenance as they raise the CYA level out of proportion to chlorine :)

You will not regret upgrading your pump/filter! And the skimmer box can be the best price you find, nothing special there ;) Install it as high as you can, we installed the top edge of the box seal on the liner seam, without compromising the seam. Definitely wait to install it until the water is about 4-6" under the lower part of the skimmer box area, to prevent stretching damage to liner from installing too soon.

Walmart has the pool liquid chlorine 10% in stock for most locations

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
How many gallons of bleach do I need to buy for a 7000 gallon pool?
Based on the pool size and where you are located (water probably cool), have a couple gallons handy. Make sure it's regular with NO splashless, scented or polymer type bleaches. Make sure the brand you buy lists the percentage on the bottle (i.e. 6% sodium hypochlorite). Make note of that % because you will enter that into the PoolMath tool when you need to determine how much bleach to add.

One day one of new fill water, add enough stabilizer to increase the CYA to at least 30, then add a little bleach (shouldn't be much) to increase your FC to about 3 ppm - use PoolMath. From then on, test with your TF-100 to make sure the FC remains at the proper level as noted on the FC/CYA Chart. With a little reading and practice, you'll get it down.

Reactions: kb109