Filter pump losing prime

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
From what I've read on here, my pump is losing its prime? It happened once yesterday. We noticed one of the returns was gurgling loudly. The water in the pump basket was swirling like a hurricane. We shut the system off and took off the lid. The gasket (? black rubber ring) looked perfect - in place and no crimps. We tightened it back, and all ran fine for the rest of the evening.

This morning, the pool came on at high speed as usual. I checked the pump basket - looked great (couldn't tell it had water in it). When it shifted to low speed, the same thing happened as last evening.

Should I do the remove the lid thing to prime it again? Is there a better way? Leave it alone til I can call my PB tomorrow (rather not bother him on a holiday)? Or best yet, is it an easy fix I can do?

Thanks!
Suz

Splash, no I didn't do the lube coating. I didn't know to. What do I use? Something special?

RedBlue, the pool water level is good. I'll have to check the weir doors. The skimmer baskets are clean. Do I check the weir doors just by observing?

In the mean time what should I do - or just nothing?
Thanks!

If your pump is grabbing air go to the skimmers and see if you hear a gargling sound. Open up the skimmer lid and see if the skimmer is suckling all the water down. If you look at the weir door you should notice it's stuck in an upwards position blocking proper water flow to the skimmer.

Basically check your weir doors for anything jamming it or stopping it from free movement. By hand make sure it goes up and all the way flat against the skimmer with ease.

Also make sure there are not any floating or pool noodles or a Polaris cleaner line right in front of the skimmer restrictions water flow to the skimmer.

Thanks Pat. I will get some Magic Lube. Since you asked if I had used one, it's a good idea to put lube on those black rings when doing checks, etc.

I appreciate your time to help me out! I'll be glad when my learning curve levels off a bit more. I wasn't sure if that was something serious or not!

If your pump is grabbing air go to the skimmers and see if you hear a gargling sound. Open up the skimmer lid and see if the skimmer is suckling all the water down. If you look at the weir door you should notice it's stuck in an upwards position blocking proper water flow to the skimmer.

Basically check your weir doors for anything jamming it or stopping it from free movement. By hand make sure it goes up and all the way flat against the skimmer with ease.

Also make sure there are not any floating or pool noodles or a Polaris cleaner line right in front of the skimmer restrictions water flow to the skimmer.

RedBlue, thank you! This is very helpful. I had no clue to connect the skimmers or the flap doors (weir doors) to the water swirling hurricane going on in the filter pump basket! I guess that was a "duh" thing for most people but not for me. You told me exactly what to check in terms an old lady could understand!! So, I'm 99% sure it was the dog's stick getting stuck in there that caused the problem. So far it has happened 3 times. The first time, I can't say if the stick was in there or not since I didn't connect the skimmers with the pump basket. But we've been playing a lot with my granddog in the pool throwing him his stick (a sawed off broom handle). After your post, I checked and there it was in the skimmer. I told the guys to be sure to get the stick out of the pool when they got out. The next morning, the same thing happened when the pool came on. Yep, there was the stick again. I threw it away. So far so good. Willie, my granddog will have to play stick-fetch just with grandma!!! I won't forget. Keeping your post for future steps on how and what to check!

Greatly appreciate your time!
Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.