Filter Problems

jkugler76

May 30, 2022
Walden, NY
Hello. I'm looking to diagnose an issue with my filter. I have a sand filter with a multi-port valve. This is only the second season using this filter. The initial problem started when water was leaking out of the waste port while the valve was on the filter setting. There was a steady stream of water coming out. Normal operating pressure is 10 PSI, but it would dip to 8 or 9 while water was leaking out of the waste port. I opened the valve cover to inspect the spider gasket and everything looked fine. No issue with the spider gasket. The standpipe looked fine as well. I have an identical spare valve purchased the previous year, which has never been used. I swapped it out with the existing valve and same problem occurred. I backwashed the filter a few times. After each backwash, the PSI went back to 10 and the water leak out of the waste port stopped temporarily, only to start leaking again about an hour later. I've been dealing with this for two days now. Today, I left the filter on and went out for a few hours. When I came home, sand was coming back into the pool from the return. PSI is now at 0. I had to shut the filter off to stop sand from entering the pool. Now, I'm at a loss. Could the issue be isolated to one main problem or multiple problems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What you describe is often the Spider Gasket being trashed in some way. I'm also wondering if your Multiport Valve is placed correctly for the label on top?

Can you take a few pics of your equipment and the top of the multiport valve?

Maddie ☮️

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since you were able to duplicate the symptoms by changing the valve, I would also suggest that perhaps there is a restriction in/after the filter so bad that it's placing excessive back-pressure on the gasket, causing it to distort and allow water to seep out to waste. By any chance have you used floc or clarifiers? How is water flow out of the return jets? Strong or weak? Speaking of significant water restriction, can you post a full set of water test results? Let's be sure to rule-out a chemistry issue that can clog-up the filter resulting in a quick/large spike in PSI.

If you don't see anything obvious as Maddie noted, we find that chemistry is good, or that you had a valve partially closed on the return side of the equipment pad, I think you should take a look inside again. Even though this is only year two for this filter, keep in mind that it's this time of year that we learn potential damage that occurred over the winter. I wouldn't overlook anything at this point.

Final thought - post a pic of your filter and equipment pad. Let's be sure everything is hooked-up correctly.

Good evening and sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for your input. I've attached a few pics at the links below. The test results were from my local pool store conducted on May 30th. Chlorine was high due to shocking the pool prior to taking that water sample. I'm in the process of adding calcium to increase the hardness. Since my post I have made a little progress. I backwashed the filter 3 more times and that seemed to solve the sand issue. No more sand is entering the pool. I also plugged up the waste port so no water can leak out. This brings me to my next set of issues. First, my filter requires 150 lbs of sand. Now, with the loss of sand, my filter is running with less than the required amount. Is that going to be an issue with performance? I would add more sand, but I don't really know how much I lost, so it's hard to determine how much to add back. Second, my filter pressure is lower than it should be. Normal operating pressure is 10 PSI. The filter is now running at 8 PSI. There is a noticeable difference with the water flow coming out of the return. I can easily press my hand against the eyeball on the return now. Last year, the flow out of the return was so much stronger. I could barely press my hand against the eyeball. If you have any suggestions on what to do next I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52116024991_b6148e89a7_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52116024866_89518c0b58_k.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52116272064_42e6715444_c.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52116067823_8d82f4781e_h.jpg

Last edited:
There are some things here you should consider such as:
- Pool store testing is often flawed. You would think they should be the experts, but you would be surprised. Testing with your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit is a must for any pool owner. Poor chemistry often results in excessive organic build up influencing water flow even if you think the water looks good. We see it everyday here at TFP.
- A good rule of thumb is the filter should be about 2/3 full of sand. If it is then you should be good.
- You have to watch those factory flex hoses very carefully. They develop leaks very easily, either in between teh ribs or on the ends, but the leak and can be tricky to find.

I would definitely make the test kit a priority. I recommend the TF-100 (link in my signature) but either will suffice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.