Filter problem identification

Jldeleon

Silver Supporter
Jun 29, 2019
Muskego, WI
changed the sand this year (will check the brand). we’ve been slamming-usually successful…CC usually 0-2, definitely not dropping below 12. Can see vacuum at bottom, but water is yellow green.

I think we have a filter issue, but arguing with husband. Not at all saying he did anything wrong when changing the sand…but shouldn’t water always be jetting in consistently without gurgling and bubbles?

Can see plenty of water coming in to pump. have backwashed several times. Definitely comes out green but get clear faster than usual. Pressure on filter gauge seems lower than normal to me. How do we narrow down the trouble shooting?

above ground pool, 33’, Hayward sand filter.

What is your current cya level? I don’t see a recent one logged in PoolMath. Anything under 30ppm can allow the sun to eat the chlorine up quickly. Follow the FC/CYA Levels

As for the bubbles here’s some things u can check -
*check all over for a leak (clamps, fittings etc,),
*With the pump OFF be sure the pump basket is completely full of water (no bubbles) & the oring in the pump basket lid is lubricated & on correctly
*Check that the water level in the skimmer isn’t too low & sucking air.
If u just replaced the sand - did u fill the filter 1/2 way with water before adding the new sand?
It can take a little bit for the filter & all the new sand to get completely full of water & work out the air after changing the sand/opening the filter.
Turning the pump OFF & pressing down on the multi port valve (or putting it in the winter position for a minute) can help let the air out that has built up in there.

CYA was 30 when we started slamming. I mistakenly was thinking I couldn’t get accurate reads of cya during slam, so wasn’t doing it. Oops. Cya was 50 tonight, FC 20, CC 1. I did slow down on logging the water test results, but we’ve been checking 2x daily and adding about a gallon/day.
DH said he did not fill the filter 1/2 water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.