Filter Pressure Question

George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Question: When my pool pump is running at 1600 RPM and I switch the water return valve from normal pool return outlets (there are 5) to the pressure side pool sweep outlet I see about a 5 PSI increase in the reading on the filter gage . The filter cartridges are cleaned as well as the return screen in the pump outlet. Is this increase normal?

This is normal as there are 2 factors that influence that increase. One is that your standard pool returns are 1.5" pipe or larger whereas some pool return pipes may only be 1". Some booster pumps are 3/4" connections - so that all increases back pressure. Not sure how yours is set up but pipe size can influence back pressure. Additionally, the Polaris pressure cleaners sometimes require a restrictor plate in the fitting at the pool wall. You can read the instructions or just look in that connection. That restrictor plate would also cause back pressure on the system showing an increase in pressure at the filter.

Herman, I do not have a booster pump just a VSP. Thinking about it I always have seen an increase in pump PSI when I switch to the pool sweep return line. Now that I think more about it it makes sense. When in this mode the pump has to push the water thru a single return line (thus more back pressure to overcome) vice when it is in the normal return mode which has 5 paths for the water to be pushed thru this requiring less pressure. Is my thinking on this correct?

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.