Filter pressure dropping

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
I cleaned my cartridges about a month ago, right after we moved into the house. The pressure once I reinstalled everything was about 17-psi which was higher than I expected it to be after cleaning them. Over the past 4 weeks the pressure on the gauge has been slowly dropping. Last night it was hovering right around 15-psi. I'm not sure if I should pull everything apart and see if the filters are still clean or if they are dirty. Water is still very clean and flow at the returns is good. I haven't noticed a decrease in flow coming from the returns since cleaning the filters or anything like that. Any thoughts?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
If it dropped way down I'd break it apart and inspect it, but a couple of pounds isn't a big deal. The gauge could change that much without the pressure actually changing.

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
I'll keep an eye on it. I don't like to obcess about things, but not having a ton of pool experience (little over a month now) I questions things. Thanks.

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Falling pressure usually indicates a water supply issue on the inlet side of the pump or a damaged filter element. A dirty filter would cause a pressure rise.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
H Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 2
S Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 7
S Pool Cleaners 3

Other Threads of Interest