Filter parts / suggestions for replacement filter size/type

TFPJules111

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
Denton, TX
Can anyone suggest a source for parts for an American Caribe 184sq ft. Stainless cartridge filter w/ 23 elements?

The bottom plate & bottom gasket are shot. The pipe has broken off the bottom plate and I can see epoxy where someone must have "fixed" it before.

I've done some looking online and called local pool stores and everyone tells me they've stopped making parts for this old filter. If I can't repair it, I'll have to replace.

The filter's covered by a homeowner's warranty (just bought the house), so if they can't repair and have to replace, I'd like to have some idea of what I'd need (capacity/type) to replace it with.

~13000 gal, in ground concrete, chlorine, north Texas.

Thank you.
Julian

Hi, Julian,

Your filter size should be in relations to your pump's capacity to push your water. If your pump is rated somewhere around 50-70gpm, a filter size about 20% bigger than that would be okay. Larger filters are generally better. For sure, do not get one rated less than your pump.

Thanks for your answer, Dave.

I have a Pentair Whisperflo High Performance Pump. The motor is labeled 1 1/2 HP 1.10SF 3450 RPM, but I can't find a GPM rating on it anywhere. Is there a way to calc GPM from these numbers? And I'm assuming it's single speed, since I don't see a dual speed marking on it anywhere?

I'm looking forward to learning A LOT about pool maintenance on this site, and to getting the pool up and running.

After taking out the pool light, cleaning it, re-lubing the gasket, etc. and testing it to find out it was fine, I discovered that the GFCI wired up-stream of it had failed. Live & learn...

Hi, Julian,

Check Pentair's website for a "pump curve" for that model. Use about 45 feet of head to give you a decent idea of the gpm. My guess is it will be close to 75.

If that's the case, a filter with a rating around 100gpm or so would be a nice match. If the curve shows that pump producing around 90gpm, then a 125 gpm filter is in the right range. You don't have to be precise...just somewhere in that range. (Of course an even larger filter doesn't hurt...it only helps).

The pump numbers I gave are a guess so check out their site or call there tech support to give you a more accurate answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.