Filter options

Jul 12, 2015
midland tx
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey all, right now I am looking and looking at filter upgrade options for my pool. Right now I have the cheesy cartridge filter that comes with the intex. Next year my plan is to get like a 21x52 metal wall pool. I am looking at upgrading to a good pump this year that I can easily use next year. What would you guys recommend ?

Also current pool is a intex 16x48 I am also curious if I get a bigger better pump ehat connections I will need to hook it up. Thanks all.

Yes I am looking for a pump filter combo or either a pump and filter separate. I am just not sure what to get. I just want something with some power. I have a hayward aqua critter I would like to use but need a good pump.

Combos are generally not worth it as either the filter is too small or the pump is too big. If you can find one within the recommendations I made above, then go for the combo.

Read this: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

We are a teaching forum, not a shopping / recommend the best deals forum. Members might share places they have had a good experience with, but may not be the "best deal" and certainly not endorsed by TFP.
Weird that link takes me to a different post than filter comparison lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, you are probably using Tapatalk then .... the forum does not work nearly as well in that app as on the webpage. You are missing out on access to all of Pool School.

Probably also explains why you did not fill out your forum signature. :D

Hello everyone I picked up a pump and filter today local. I actually got a hayward 1.5 hp matrix pump and a hayward sand filter. I also got a extra hayward 1hp pump that they said stopped working and not sure what it is. Picked all this up for 200 so didnt rhink ot was a bad deal.

Okay so the sand fikter I got was a hayward s166T so I looked it up it is a 16 inch sand filter.

Hayward S166T ProSeries Sand Filter, 16-Inch, Top-Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVLXZG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FFpaBbDM5AJGW

The 2 pumps I got are

Hayward powerflo matrix 1.5 hp motor this one works great. I have it hooked up and running on the sand filter now.

Hayward SP1593 PowerFlo Matrix 1.5 HP Above-Ground Swimming Pool Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EUJNZO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZKpaBbRNTGAZ9

The pump I got that is not working is powerflo lX 1 hp. Is there any way I can go threw this and get it going again.

Hayward SP1580 PowerFlo LX 1 HP Above-Ground Swimming Pool Pump Amazon.com : Hayward SP1580 PowerFlo LX 1 HP Above-Ground Swimming Pool Pump : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden Outdoor

Got all of this for 200.

Ahh, I am not to worried about electricity. I have a really good rate and I can only keep the pool up about 4 months or 5 max 5his year. I did have another question maybe you can help me with. The motor has a on off switch on the back behind the motor. Is it safe to say put the plug on a timer and leave switch to on. Is it bad on the pump for it to go on and off like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.