Filter losing water to waste

May 25, 2007
Noticed the past few days my pool was losing water. As my pac fab fns+ 36 is several years old on original parts, I checked the multiport valve and sure enough, set on filter but water was going out the waste line. I turned everything on and capped the waste outlet until the parts get here.

I'm need to double check the model numbers but I'm pretty sure my multiport is the model on the right-

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_valves_ ... tiport.htm

As far as I can tell I need to replace the o-ring part #20 (far left schematic) and the gasket part #2, right?

Will I need any seal or lubricant to install the gasket? This is the correct fix for this issue, right?

#2, the spider gasket, is almost always where the problem is. Only occasionally does #20 need to be replaced. #23 is also a possible issue, as is #21, the spring.

You need something to scrape the old spider gasket off, often a flat blade screwdriver will work, and something to glue down the new spider gasket, typically super glue. It is also good to have some silicone based pool/plumbers lube to lubricate all of the o-rings/gaskets that you encounter during the process, even if not replacing them.

It still seems to have good spring tension, but probably best to replace it all once I have it apart. This filter is easily 10+ yrs old, so perhaps it's just a matter of time before they'd need replaced anyway.

Parts arrived some time ago, but I didn't get a chance to replace the gasket until yesterday. Old gasket was worn, came out easily enough, grooves cleaned up nicely, and installed easily with super glue gel. Gave it several minutes to set, then re-assembled everything. Only problem is it's still losing water to waste :(

Took it back apart to make sure the gasket didn't come lose, and it was still seated firmly. I can think of a couple possibilities why-

1- I didn't lube the spider gasket. I've read conflicting info on doing so and decided not too. Don't know if this alone could cause the problem.

2- Although I mentioned above that I would go ahead and replace the spring, at the last minute I didn't order the part as it was $20. I thought it was ok, but upon closer inspection it seems like the spring isn't pushing the valve head down on the gasket tightly enough. Not sure if it's the spring or the washers that that transfer the compression force to it when the handle is worked.

For now I put the cap back on the waste outlet and unless you guys can think of something else I should consider I guess I need to order some more parts :(

I would also verify handle pin is working smoothly (#18 in diagram). If it binds, the spring may not be able to apply sufficient pressure to the spider gasket. A little PB Blaster may help free it up if it is binding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.