Filter hose doesn't fit new pump, please help!

kewpie

Feb 19, 2017
Chapel Hill, NC
Hello,
My Pentair Dynamo above ground pool pump died a week ago after only about 2.5 years of use. I bought a Hayward Power Flo LX pump as replacement, thinking maybe it is better. I am not handy at all and after watching numerous videos, decided I was ready to attempt to replace. I was all excited and pleased with myself, until the very last step! My hose doesn't fit! My Dynamo had a male connector part for the filter hose, but my Hayward has a female. The size is also very confusing. My hose is about 2 inches wide with a cover thing that came with the hose that screws onto the old pump, but my Hayward connector appears to be 1 and 3/4 inch. I have been to two hardware stores with no luck and am very stressed about this now. What are my options? Is there an adaptor available or what part do I even start googling for? I spent hours at the hardware store measuring width and trying to fit different parts together. I hope someone here has replaced a Pentair pump before with a Hayward :). In the meantime, I am running my vacuum robot daily and putting in about a gallon of chlorine every other day. I assume this would be OK until i have a working pump?

Thanks all!

Both pumps have the same 1 1/2” threaded ports. Look closely at the 2” male fitting on your old pump and I think you will find it will unscrew from the pump.

Hello, I think there's an error in my picture loading. I'll try again!. unfortunately, the male connector from pentair pump does not disconnect. I had gone back to Home Depot tonight and was trying to come up with a hack and thought i had scored with the 3 pieces I bought. I got a 1.5 inch male connector to attach to hayward pump, then added 2 pieces of stuff, so I thought the cap from my hose can screw on it, but turns out the hose is exactly 2 inch (so same size as my hack and is too small for the hose cap to screw on. I feel so defeated!! Hopefully my picture will show...

We're having some problems uploading pics to the site. :brickwall: Not your fault. Just so happens I had kind of the same problem as you today. I was replacing my Waterway Supreme with a Hayward Powerflo Matrix since they are basically identical - the exact same size and profile. Should be an easy one-for-one swap right? NOPE! Sure, both pumps are advertised as having 1.5" in & out ports, but that's for the female/inside threads only. My Waterway inner & outer "outside threads are a different sizes than the Hayward outer threads which means my unions won't fit. So like you, I hit a wall. Looks like I will have to re-do my plumbing. Okay, enough of my drama,

Your problem is probably a bit different in that you are trying to connect factory AGP flex hoses that are probably proprietary sizes. Intex does that. Grrrrr! So you need something to go from AGP flex hose to standard to PVC. I think we had members get those off of Amazon. Let's tag a couple people who might recall that conversion. @cowboycasey or @jseyfert3 do either of you recall the adapter required?

We're having some problems uploading pics to the site. :brickwall: Not your fault. Just so happens I had kind of the same problem as you today. I was replacing my Waterway Supreme with a Hayward Powerflo Matrix since they are basically identical - the exact same size and profile. Should be an easy one-for-one swap right? NOPE! Sure, both pumps are advertised as having 1.5" in & out ports, but that's for the female/inside threads only. My Waterway inner & outer "outside threads are a different sizes than the Hayward outer threads which means my unions won't fit. So like you, I hit a wall. Looks like I will have to re-do my plumbing. Okay, enough of my drama,

Your problem is probably a bit different in that you are trying to connect factory AGP flex hoses that are probably proprietary sizes. Intex does that. Grrrrr! So you need something to go from AGP flex hose to standard to PVC. I think we had members get those off of Amazon. Let's tag a couple people who might recall that conversion. @cowboycasey or @jseyfert3 do either of you recall the adapter required?
Yeah my pics won’t show the second time either…I’m super not handy and was so proud of myself up to this last step…I’m having a handyman come tomorrow, hopefully he can figure something out…didn’t think it would be so complicated! All the videos I watched didn’t have this issue 😭 I wished I could return this and get a pentair exact model but I think that’s too late now…maybe as a last resort but will be $$$

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought of that later as well. Go to about 1 minute in this video. Should be an easy fix for you.

I struggled like this guy & never could get my hose between the pump & filter off so i had to cut it & peel it off of the fitting! The sun had done a number on it.
I replaced it with flex pvc & put a union in the middle for easy removal if there’s a next time.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Since pics aren’t working can you post the model numbers of both pumps? Hopefully we can figure it out from that by looking up the pumps.
My old pump model is Pentair dynamo Model # 193743 (I think it's a 2 speed 1.5 hp). My new pump is Hayward Power Flo LX Pump SP1515Z1BC or maybe Part 0-187873-20 is the number? Thank you!! My filter is a Pentair Sanddollar PNSD0040DO1160. Thank you!!

Can u return the new one ?
Or maybe save the old one as a spare? - that’s what i did but mine was a warranty replacement.

He thinks there may have been some fine debris that got into the casing…
I would've liked to have been a fly on the wall to see that one. I've certain seen motors get jammed by corrosion and such, but to seize temporally like that out of the blue seems odd to me. But hey, if it's working it's working. That's always a good thing, and now you have back-up pump - just like me. Ha. :goodjob:

I would've liked to have been a fly on the wall to see that one. I've certain seen motors get jammed by corrosion and such, but to seize temporally like that out of the blue seems odd to me. But hey, if it's working it's working. That's always a good thing, and now you have back-up pump - just like me. Ha. :goodjob:
Haha yes! I won’t complain as long as it works! Hopefully can last a few more years as it’s only 2.5 years old! Fingers crossed it works tomorrow when the timer kicks in! I hope I can return the Hayward one because after learning how hard it is to try to find the adapter, I think I should stick to the same pump going forward! (But also super glad to know there are options if I can’t return the pump for any reason….). Thanks to all!!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.