Filter help please. New to pools

Hi all, hoping someone can help me out here. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to pool maintenance. Last year my husband and I were gifted an above ground pool which we kept mostly clear until the end of the season and then nothing we did seemed to get rid of the cloudy water, so we flocced it and vacuumed to waste and dirty water started shooting out of the jet and back into the pool. I started googling and the only thing I found was that maybe I needed a new spider gasket? We bought one and tried to replace it and the multiport valve never worked after that (wouldn't turn, wouldn't backflush) so we bought a new filter this year. The pool was a nightmare after a winter of never getting it cleaned so we shocked it and flocced it again. We figured we'd be trouble free vacuuming to waste with a new filter but the same thing is happening - dirty water starts shooting back into the pool. Water is coming out of the hose that we have attached when we vacuum to waste, but it is also going into the pool. We assumed when having the valve set to waste that no water would go back into the pool at all. Having never cared for an above ground pool before we're scratching our heads. None of the pool supply companies around here support Hayward pools. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sarah

Hey Sarah! :wave: Welcome to TFP. First thing you need to do, and it may seem tough at first, is to stop going to the pool store. Please start by reviewing the TFP page of ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and read/save all the vital links below in my signature. Don't forget to update your sig as well.

Priority #1 - the proper test kit. Either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, but that HAS to be your first order of business. From there, post a full set of results and we'll be happy to guide you. You'll be amazed at all the bad info being passed around locally at the stores, and the overpriced products pushed on the buyer. Don't fall for it. Test you own water. It's easy! Let us know if you have any questions.

Hey Sarah! :wave: Welcome to TFP. First thing you need to do, and it may seem tough at first, is to stop going to the pool store. Please start by reviewing the TFP page of ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and read/save all the vital links below in my signature. Don't forget to update your sig as well.

Priority #1 - the proper test kit. Either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, but that HAS to be your first order of business. From there, post a full set of results and we'll be happy to guide you. You'll be amazed at all the bad info being passed around locally at the stores, and the overpriced products pushed on the buyer. Don't fall for it. Test you own water. It's easy! Let us know if you have any questions.
Hi Texas! I do have a question - could you tell me why water is shooting back out the jet when it’s set to waste?

why water is shooting back out the jet when it’s set to waste
That sounds like your multiport valve. Either the spider gasket got really twisted up in there from changing positions with the pump motor on or gasket not lubed, or the MPV was reattached in the wrong position. That would be my guess. :(

That sounds like your multiport valve. Either the spider gasket got really twisted up in there from changing positions with the pump motor on or gasket not lubed, or the MPV was reattached in the wrong position. That would be my guess. :(

And this would happen with the brand new filter I bought? After having the same problem last year and replacing the spider gasket and that not working so I bought the new filter?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, in case it is missed in my original post, the new filter has a brand-new multiport valve attached to it, so somehow that doesn't work too?

I should add, in case it is missed in my original post, the new filter has a brand-new multiport valve attached to it, so somehow that doesn't work too?
Now that IS odd. Maybe you can post a pic of your equipment pad so we can see everything you have to work with there?

The plumbing is reversed. The line from the pump should go to the highest port so that the water goes in on top of the diverter and pushes the diverter down.

The ports should be labeled "Pump", "Return" and "Waste".

You have the pump going to the lower "Return" port, which comes in under the diverter and pushes it up.

Switch the pump and return lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have just about the same filter, so I’m sure it’s the same MPV as yours.

As others have already stated, you have the filter hooked up backwards.

As all others have stated, the 2 hoses hooked up to the tank with the sand in it need to be reversed. Good Luck!!!

EDIT: Mine as it stands ... The hose from the pump is attached to the UPPER inlet of the multi-port valve

P5060001.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.