Filter bulkhead repair, how to tighten that giant nut.

JAC65

May 1, 2016
Washington, MI
I recently had to repair a bulkhead on my Triton II sand filter, i've seen plent of old threads asking how to tighten the 3 1/4 bulkhead nut inside the filter tank. I have a method that I've used several times that lets you hand tighten it and get a good seal.

After removing the old bulkhead fitting, install the new fittings and screw the nut on inside the tank just hand tight. The only tool you need is a 16 oz rubber mallet (HDX 16 oz. Rubber Mallet-31030 - The Home Depot) about $6 at home depot. Simply reach inside the filter tank and grab the nut, then firmly hit the end of the bulkhead fitting pushing it directly into the side of the tank while applying pressure to the nut inside. As you hit the fitting you should be able to tighten the nut a little more with each strike. Tighten the nut until it seems to not want to go any further, then wait aprox 10-15 minutes, to allow the o-ring and spacer gasket to compress. Repeat the same process one more time and you should have the fitting tight enough. I've used this method several times and it worked every time! Just remember, you aren't trying to beat the fitting throught the side of the tank, you just need to hit it firmly enough to compress the o-ring and seal enought to turn the nut a little bit, we're talking about maybe 1/10th or less of a turn with each hit. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.