Filter and Pump Skimmer Lube

jereece

Jun 19, 2019
Charlotte, NC
I am sure this question will get a lot of chuckles and jokes, but here goes. Can you use a high quality silicone personal lube on filter and pump skimmer o-rings? I have tried traditional silicone o-ring lubes, but it's difficult to spread and tends to leave a greasy mess. However I have found that a good quality lube works great on other products made of rubber (e.g. windshield wipers). It spreads easily because it's thinner, it lasts a long time, seems to protect the rubber by not allowing it to dry out and yes it makes the item slick so it should seal well and not allow it to become attached to the mating surface. My windshield wipers work great with a little coating of this. So, I just tried it recently on my filter and pump skimmer o-rings. Normally I have to adjust the tension on these to get them water tight, but using this lube seems to make them seal easier. Plus this lube is cheaper for the volume you get. Anyway, just wanted to see if I am the only crazy person to try this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, the punchlines are forthcoming. :) Someone here will probably give you the true scientific analysis, and I bet it boils-down to the actual ingredients and % of each. I have a suspicion about it's longevity to chlorine simply because of the difference in viscosity. But that's about all I"m going to dive into that one without using more examples and getting myself censored. Ha. Let the puns begin.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.