amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Had a significant leak in liner this year and need to add a lot of water to pool. Last time I did this, as soon as I chlorinated, pool turned green from iron (actually a rather pretty color, clear as crystal, but... Still green. Hubby takes very vocal exception...

Long ago I remember people here talking about using poly fill out rooms of paper towel to filter out the iron. I know there's iron because on winter, when I have to drop the upstairs faucet to prevent freezing pipes, I put a hand towel under the drip so the iron does not staying my pretty, new, acrylic tub.

I'm thinking of drilling holes in a 5 gal bucket, coming with old pillow stuffing, sticking a spare skimmer basket into that, filling that with chlorine tabs and running the water through that.

Stupid idea? Or worth a try? Or yes but forget the chorine tabs.

Thanks. Glad this forum is still around.

Welcome to posting!
Search the forum for Iron Filters. There are many, some just like you describe. I think cal hypo tablets would work even better as they would not be acidic.

My town has high iron in the water supply. When we had our liner replaced and refilled the pool. You couldn’t even see the drain in the deep end because the water was so clouded by the iron.

I took a cheap pillow that has that Polly filling and pulled it out of the pillow and stuffed it in both skimmers.

I turned off the main drain and let the pump run all night. In the morning , both skimmers were dark orange with the collected iron. It took awhile but if finally cleared up. That pillow trick worked good.

Reactions: Ignoramus
amymeme,

do you have a whole house water softener? If not, Spitdogs' answer is likely the best idea......just keep in mind your refill water will be iron laden all summer without a softener.

I have high iron, and took a whole house water filter and put it on a 2 wheel dolly, with hose connectors on both side and run it straight from the well head to the filter, out to the pool. Works well for me..

amymeme,

do you have a whole house water softener? If not, Spitdogs' answer is likely the best idea......just keep in mind your refill water will be iron laden all summer without a softener.
We do. But the outside faucets are plumbed prior to the softener. The is an iron filter on the softened water but it is no longer sufficient. I think I'm going to try the pillow for idea, have the hose go through that first and then into the pool.

amymeme,

Oh, as for refill water? We're in fonger lakes of NY, pools not open for long and we usually get ample rain to compensate. I've rarely had to add more than an inch maybe twice a summer, that doesn't seem to cause as problem. My liner is beyond end of life, had a small patch that lets loose over winter past 2 years. The fill for THAT announces the problem. Plan was to replace this year but with COVID-19, my health problems and age, not happening. Sigh.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.