Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Set up my Intex Ultra Frame yesterday (details in signature) and it is about 3/4 filled. I haven’t put any chemicals in yet. I have NO IDEA what I am doing!! I have the TF-100 test kit, a bunch of chemicals, and a sample of untreated water from my pool. How do I test to see how much I need to add for the FIRST time to 100% untreated city water? Everything I read tells me what levels I need of each but how do I even start?

Do I wait until the pool is full and turn on the pump then just guess and adjust as needed? I am about to rip my hair out. And yes I checked out pool school but I am only finding articles on how to MAINTAIN proper chemicals and which levels I’m supposed to be at of each but no clue how to (or when to) add chemicals for the first time. I don’t want to screw this up! Praying I don’t have to go to the local pool store to have it tested because the owner thinks he knows everything and it’s all opposite of what I’m learning on this forum. Help!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, kB. Don’t guess! You have a great test kit.

Fresh water means no CYA and little to no chlorine. Start by adding those. Use poolmath to calculate how much stabilizer you need to get to 30 ppm CYA and bleach or chlorine to get to 5 ppm FC. once you’ve got those covered, you can use the test kit to get the levels for TA,CH, pH as well.

Keep asking questions as you go along.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Start with CYA (stabilizer) and Chlorine. Use Pool Math to calculate 30 ppm, put it in a sock and start it dissolving, it takes a bit for it to dissolve so squeeze the sock every 15 minutes or so. While that is dissolving, add enough bleach to get to 5 ppm. Once you have that done, you can run a full set of tests (except CYA). Post those numbers when you have them.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
And am I supposed to be running the pump? It hasn’t reached those water hole things yet lol do I just put the chlorine in a sock and toss it in? Lord.....

Don’t just toss it in, the stabilizer could bleach your liner.

Dangle into the water until you can get your pump running then move the sock to your skimmer basket.

How much chlorine and CYA? That is the problem lol

PoolMath will help you figure out how much. Put in your pool information. Set current levels for CYA and FC to zero. Set your targets. And it will give you the amounts to add. Add less stabilizer than recommended because it’s easier to add than remove.

Pool Math. PoolMath

I put in your pool volume and a target of 30 CYA. You need 28 ounces by weight of stabilizer (100% cyanuric acid). Put that in a sock, tie it to a pool pole and dangle it into the water. Squeeze the sock every 15 minutes or so.

Chlorine, you need to know the strength of the bleach you are using. I assumed you are using 12.5%. Pool math calculates 36 ounces of 12.5% to get from 0 to 5 ppm. Simply pour that amount in and use a brush to stir it around.

Once the water is filled enough to turn on the pump, get it started so the water is circulating. Then run a full set of tests (Except CYA) assume 30 ppm since that is what you have added.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.