Figuring pool volume

tnj1333

Jun 21, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I am a brand newbie trying to figure pool volume. Pool is vinyl Lazy-L shape:

Ppwk that came with pool says...16x37-2, deep end is 6 ft, pool area 562.27, volume 17,760.

My issue is when I use online calculators or suggested formulas I'm getting a volume of approx 19,980.

Which do I go with in figuring chemicals, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pool diagram.jpg
    pool diagram.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 9
I would use the one on the drawing. That is likely to be more accurate than any online calculator. Based upon the area, the average depth with a pool volume of 17760 would be 4.22' which seems about right for that profile.

I am a brand newbie trying to figure pool volume. Pool is vinyl Lazy-L shape:

Ppwk that came with pool says...16x37-2, deep end is 6 ft, pool area 562.27, volume 17,760.

My issue is when I use online calculators or suggested formulas I'm getting a volume of approx 19,980.

Which do I go with in figuring chemicals, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Take a before test panel, add a single chemical (liquid chlorine for example), wait about an hour for it to mix thoroughly and test again. Back into the water volume using the change in results, chemical strength, and chemical volume as the constants.

I'd assume the drawings are more accurate, as you would not fill right to the top of the coping. In other words, if the plans indicate a 6 foot depth, the water level is probably around 5.5 feet.

Reactions: tnj1333
Thanks a bunch. One more thing different topic. Should I add chlorine while filling or wait until fill is done?
Wait.

If you estimate the water and/or chemical volume incorrectly, you could risk bleaching your liner. Especially if the pump is not running and you can't mix the solution effectively.

Reactions: tnj1333
Here is a great tool. Press the up arrow on the graph to add location points. Add as many points as you need and draw the pool to scale. Multiply that surface area by you average depth (for cubic feet) and then again by (7.481 gallons per cubic foot)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.