Fiberglass pool TN

They may be estimating the pool size but remember that the water sits about 5-6" below the top of the pool. Almost all pool builders get this wrong and over estimate. Use your water meter to help establish it, if you can avoid a lot of household water use while filling.
Thanks for the suggestion, that would have been difficult since we started filling last Thursday and we are just now finishing up. I'm also using a spigot from my neighbors house to help fill it faster

Ordered a Maytronics Active 30 from Marina pool spa & patio yesterday. I called on Monday and left a message and they called me back on Tuesday. Expected delivery is Friday.

Reactions: mknauss
The problem is the pool builder used 17k to purchase the equipment and I think 19,700 would be ok but not ideal.

What equipment are you getting?

What is based on pool size?

Nothing should have been sized that close that 17K vs 20K makes a difference.

Really it's just the filter and the SWG. At first the equipment showed up and I saw a sand filter which is the default option that I guess he recommends for everyone. I had discussed with him and the guy ordering the equipment several times that I wanted the cartridge option mainly because I didn't want to deal with backward and the runoff from that.

They are installing an Ichlor 30 and hayward cartridge filter C4030. I'm having a hard time confirming that it's actually the C4030 and not the size down C3030

Why a Pentair iChlor 30 when you are getting Hayward Colorlogic lights, Heat Pump, and TriStar VS pump?

I would get the Hayward AquaPlus which gives you a more robust 40K SWG and ties together all your equipment in one control panel.

I agree, trust me it's been a pain in the Rear dealing with this builder and getting what I want. He pretty much recommended everything I didn't want. Sand filter, pool ionizer, natural gas heater

How long was your wait after you signed your contract until installation started? We signed our contract in April and installation is supposed to start in November. We went with a highly recommended fiberglass pool company in Joelton. They did a few pools for friends & coworkers and everyone loved them. Just a long wait but hopefully they will be worth it. I enjoy following this site and your thread, I hope everything goes well with your install. 👍

How long was your wait after you signed your contract until installation started? We signed our contract in April and installation is supposed to start in November. We went with a highly recommended fiberglass pool company in Joelton. They did a few pools for friends & coworkers and everyone loved them. Just a long wait but hopefully they will be worth it. I enjoy following this site and your thread, I hope everything goes well with your install. 👍

We signed on 5/20 and one big reason why we went with this company was to get it installed this summer.
I contacted the company you are talking about and it looks like they are highly regarded. I think they told us October but I like that they have a price sheet available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s the only thing that is killing us, the wait! Especially being stuck at home the whole time. It is giving us some extra time to save up some money. The price sheet is nice, all our friends gave us all their final paperwork and the final cost was exactly what was quoted on their contract/price sheet. Our final cost is going to be around 49k for the 16x38 diver with some extra concrete and VS pump, light and salt water system upgrades. I’m trying to learn as much as possible on this site so I’m prepared when the time comes.

The guys came back yesterday to finish plumbing and backfilling :). This is after they worked all day installing a pool in another part of town. Builder asking me that I looked concerned so I told him I felt like he was falling behind which he didn't like hearing. The contract says install in 5 days. I just talked to him again and he was asking for the next scheduled check, which is in the contract. I pointed out that the contract also said 5 days which he subtracted Friday, Saturday and Sunday. He messed up ordering rock for Friday not realizing that the companies aren't open. They even came by on Friday and worked on plumbing. Even if he subtracts all the days he wants today is the 6th day. I did talk to the workers after he left just to let him know I've been very pleased with the work they are doing. They really have been doing a great job.

It's not really the speed I have a problem with. We were scheduled for June 22 which was pushed back to June 29 because another customer had signed a contract before us and they cleared the septic permit. That's fair and I didn't complain about it. He did mention that could happen. Then it was moved to June 30, then July 1. We started on July 1st and he showed up saying yeah the guys actually doing the work finished the last pool in 3 days. I didn't expect that since it's such a big pool and I knew just filling it would take a long time. The blemish set him back even more because they couldn't fix it until Tuesday. I don't blame him for the damage, I'm guessing it happened on the road somehow. The thing that really annoys me is he has his crew working another site while mine is just sitting waiting. I guess he figures to just annoy 1 customer instead of both of us. I've already helped him sell another pool in my HOA and a few other people have been asking about the work.

Anyway, sorry for the ranting. I'm glad that the pool is almost done. I have a feeling that the concrete deck won't be done for another month.

Pretty much everything is back filled and the electrician is coming tomorrow. The guys came back and leveled things up and dug a trench for us to lay a natural gas line for a fire pit. They will go over the concrete and “pool school” tomorrow morning

Reactions: Apsuhead
So am I supposed to SLAM my pool to start out? I would think the water balance levels would be all zero except calcium

If I'm testing my water, is it ok that the pump hasn't run yet and I can get a sample from the pool or should I wait and test after it's been running for a while?

Last edited:
No, one only needs to do a SLAM process if their are contaminates like agae in the water. You just need to add CYA and Chlorine to start, then base any other need on chemistry test results.

Put in enough CYA to reach 30ppm, and keep your FC at 5ppm , See ---> FC/CYA Levels. Raise CYA up slowly when getting SWG on to about 70ppm.

Add salt with the SWG off. Keep off a day to allow salt to dissolve. Have your FC up at desired level then turn the SWG on and let it maintain your FC.

Maddie

Reactions: Apsuhead and RHanna
Its up to you if you want to run it 24/7, not necessary but not harmful either. With a VS pump you could probably run 24 hours a day at a low speed for less than my single speed pump runs for 6 hours. The advantage of running more is strictly that it helps keep the surface skimmed of debris. As long as you balance your SWG output to the pump hours so you don't go producing wildly high FC, you're good with whatever you want to do.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.