Fiberglass install, feel like I'm getting priced up

How is a package "all inclusive" when they have an up-charge for inspections and hauling dirt? Are there properties in your area where the dirt can be left on the property and no inspections are required?

Are these special colors in the manufactures price list? I would call the FG manufacture and ask about their special colors and the upcharge.

Pool builder prices are typically 2X internet prices. Heater is $3,300 at...

Does the cost include running a gas line? What is the length of the gas line? Does it include the cost of the gas plumber?

Gas line runs can be expensive.

What is the size of your house gas meter?

What size IC cell?

IC40 cell with Power Center is $1600 and IntelliConnect is $440.

What pump are you getting?

Buy your own chemicals.

13 40lb bags of salt at around $8 each is around $100. About $20 in stabilizer and $40 in liquid chlorine. Less then $200 in chemicals if you buy it.

The equipment prices are not outrageous. They are typical 2X cost installed.

I think the haul dirt and inspection costs are where this is padded with profit.
That's good to know about the 2x calculation. At that rate, these do line up. It's an IC40 plus controller. Not sure about the gas meter size, but we're in a large new construction house and there was no mention of needing anything larger. The pool install comes with a pump, but I have a friend at Pentair who will prob get one for free for me.

Chemical-wise that would be great. Not trying to be cheap but it is like 20k of extras, which could buy a lot of beer.

You should check the size of your gas meter. We see many houses that have 250 CFM gas meters in new developments and then try and put in 400K gas heaters.

Look at the data plates on your gas meter for its capacity and post pics of it here.

The pump you get matters if you are getting the IntelliConnect system. The IntelliConnect will only control certain Pentair VS pumps and will not will not Control Superflo VS or VST Pumps Using RS-485.

For the Intelliconnect to control the Intellichlor settings, you must also have a separate temperature sensor installed.

Am I missing an advantage to concrete? We're new to pools as a whole but I'm not seeing any real advantage besides custom shapes (we want a standard rectangle), and a lot of disadvantages when it comes to upkeep. We always buy top quality when we can, but it's feeling like fiberglass is just the newer/better tech.
I think each pool type has it's advantages and disadvantages. Go with what you want. I can only speak on FG pools and I love mine (so far).

They want 52% for the ground breaking, which can mean they scratch the ground.

Once they get 52%, there’s not much to make them complete the project in 30 days as promised unless it’s in the contract with penalties outlined for every day over 30 days.

They can take 6 months, or longer, on a “promised” 30 days.

Reactions: FlapjackMcCoy
Am I missing an advantage to concrete? We're new to pools as a whole but I'm not seeing any real advantage besides custom shapes (we want a standard rectangle), and a lot of disadvantages when it comes to upkeep. We always buy top quality when we can, but it's feeling like fiberglass is just the newer/better tech.
I can't say an advantage or disadvantage. My last pool was concrete and im in progress on a fiberglass pool currently. I have no real fiberglass experience as of yet. Im only saying $ for $ it sounds like the concrete quote is a better deal, even if it means waiting. If you can get everything you want from a fiberglass pool at a reasonable price, roll with that. But being charged 6 figure for a pool not even complete (ie no decking and charging way to much for extras) to me is a rip off and I would look elsewhere regardless of pool type.

There a pros and cons to both, but fiberglass is anything but newer or better tech. They have been around since early 50's. They were big here in the 60's and 70's, but got a bad rap as "floaters" for us coastal folks, which really isn't the case. But, there's still one fiberglass pool outlet that's been here since the 60's and a same old faded shell has been in their yard all this time. Everyone wonders who they sell to, as there's not one fiberglass pool in this county and mainly due to the erroneous bad rap.

Laughed out loud at this one. It definitely seems fishy, especially since it's not included in the standard package.
I am starting the same process. Are they charging you to fill the pool also? I see oe vendor will only fill enough to set pool then charges by the truckload. Where in Nc are you.

Have to wonder why this company has such an open schedule. It may because no one else wants to pay those prices.
I had a painter last year quote me 17k to paint 2700 sq ft interior. Second quote came in at 5k. some folks are just trying to take adv. Hope I do not have to deal with this with pool. In NC also. some are quoting me for 2 rucks of water. lol

I had a painter last year quote me 17k to paint 2700 sq ft interior. Second quote came in at 5k. some folks are just trying to take adv. Hope I do not have to deal with this with pool. In NC also. some are quoting me for 2 rucks of water. lol

I hear that I was quoted nearly $19,000 to replace an air conditioning unit in the house. They wanted 40,000 to do both systems. Got a second quote for $6k including replacing all the ducting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last I heard fiberglass shells were backordered pretty bad. Either that cleared up or they want your downpayment and then the excuses start rolling in, or worse they excavate and then the excuses start rolling in and you have no recourse but to wait a very long time.

I paid 50k total for my 16x38 fiberglass pool 2 years ago. My PB did everything… permits, made the pool, and installed it including electrical and concrete. Same pool would now be 65k and they have a 2.5 year waitlist. I LOVE my fiberglass pool, it’s a breeze. Neighbors have concrete and liners, I didn’t want those.
805ABE28-F0A4-481F-8873-77EA8ECC5E47.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.