Fiberglass build in NoVa

Still waiting on an updated design and proposal from River Pools, but I’m getting close to being able to sign with the other company if I decide to go that way.

Outback Dundee Lounger (30x14 - I decided I could do a bigger pool) - $39,740
(3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2” plumbing, Pentair StaRite 1.5 HP VS pump, Pentair Sta-Rite Posi-Clear PXCRP100 cartridge filter)
Arctic shimmer color upgrade - $0
SWG - Pentair Intellichlor IC40 - $475 upgrade from IC20 at $0
3 Pentair Microbrite LED - 2 at $0, 1 additional $659
Electrical - $2899
Gas heater - Pentair Master Temp 125 - $3500
Bubblers (2 - just plain returns) - $600
Automation - Pentair Easy Touch - $1000
Landscape lighting (12 fixtures tied to automation) - $2050
Brushed concrete deck and coping (500 sq ft at $9) - $4500
Remove and reinstall fence for acces - $750
Dirt hauling - $1250
Retaining wall - TechoBloc GForce - $5750
Buried drainpipe for downspout - $0
TOTAL - $63,173

10% deposit, 40% first day of construction, 30% when pool is in ground with plumbing, water and backfill, 15% at completion of deck, 5% at orientation

I fought for the IC40, I don’t think it costs them $475 more than the IC20 but that’s the only place I feel like they added a little back in.

I’m feeling much better about this and starting to get excited it’s actually going to happen. I feel comfortable with these folks - they have tons of experience, one of the owners will be on site every day of construction, and I’m getting more for less than I expect will be reflected in the revised River Pools proposal (though I’m still waiting for it and keeping an open mind). Will post some of the renderings from these guys in a bit.

That pump cannot be controlled by the Easytouch. Get an Intelliflo.

Also, Intellicenter is the newest automation from Pentair. I would consider getting that versus the older version.

That pump cannot be controlled by the Easytouch. Get an Intelliflo.

Also, Intellicenter is the newest automation from Pentair. I would consider getting that versus the older version.
Thanks on the pump. They’re not going to do Intellicenter. I sent them off to explore it and their Pentair rep strongly discouraged it at this point. Filter seems a bit small too, will work on that.

i was on the east coast for a few years due to work and river pools was my top choice after research. if jason hughes is still involved you should be in good hands. never actually followed theough bc we moved back to CA before we had a house for them to work on

what amount are they asking at shell delivery? if 100% that would make me say no as well

if close in cost to the actual fiberglass shell meh...makes more sense

you want a fair and reasonable payment schedule...covering the cost of a material as it goes in makes sense

NorCalX, River did agree to a better payment schedule but only with an escrow.

Miss Utility came yesterday and the gas line is not where the home builder told me he thought it was, it runs across the corner of the pool area. Now to figure out whether to use a smaller pool, move the pool, or move the gas line. Probably the latter, I should do things right, but sigh. Two steps forward, one back.

Moving a gas line is very expensive. I would say in your area you could be looking at $10k plus. Unless you can get the gas company to move it for free let's hope! Honestly if you are not planning on a spa I would just go with a heat pump. Kind if wish I had. Extending the season sounds great and all in theory but realistically when the air temps are cold it is not pleasurable to swim. My neighbor keeps his pool at 90 plus all season long with his heat pump using less than 1/2 the money I spend for my gas heater to swim "on demand". My gas heater literally doubled my gas bill and I am not talking about just summer months it doubled what I pay annually for gas.

i was on the east coast for a few years due to work and river pools was my top choice after research. if jason hughes is still involved you should be in good hands. never actually followed theough bc we moved back to CA before we had a house for them to work on

Jason (one of the 3 owners) is still there, dont be hesitant to drop his name on the sales guy. I had a small problem recently that was just spinning and not progressing, I got him involved and it got solved in a matter of days.

Well, that's disheartening, but I'll know more next Wednesday. Columbia Gas is coming out that day. I would honestly be shocked at that kind of price, but you never know.

Thanks for the heat pump advice, but I ran numbers and thought about how I am most likely to use the pool in the shoulder season, which is to heat it up for a nice weekend day but not to keep it heated full time. Gas makes more sense for me.

Moving a gas line is very expensive. I would say in your area you could be looking at $10k plus. Unless you can get the gas company to move it for free let's hope! Honestly if you are not planning on a spa I would just go with a heat pump. Kind if wish I had. Extending the season sounds great and all in theory but realistically when the air temps are cold it is not pleasurable to swim. My neighbor keeps his pool at 90 plus all season long with his heat pump using less than 1/2 the money I spend for my gas heater to swim "on demand". My gas heater literally doubled my gas bill and I am not talking about just summer months it doubled what I pay annually for gas.

Jason (one of the 3 owners) is still there, dont be hesitant to drop his name on the sales guy. I had a small problem recently that was just spinning and not progressing, I got him involved and it got solved in a matter of days.

Sales guy is super nice and helpful, but they have limited ability to work around the payment schedule policy - they need an exception approval from one of the owners, which I did get in my case.

It took multiple calls and supervisor intervention to get someone from the gas company out to look at my issue on the date I stayed home from work but it worked out fine. The guy was really nice. Because they screwed with my appointment and because apparently the original gas line install wasn't done to spec he got the gas company to absorb half the cost, so it's going to be ... around $500. They'll tear up my front lawn but it's where the pool builder would tear it up for access anyway. So it's just a time issue, not a money one. Moving forward....

Reactions: Neemer and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
About ready to sign. Pics below. Still messing about with a few things from the rendering - the stepping stones aren't where I want them (not necessary for the contract), may do plants as screening around the equipment rather than the fence (again, can worry about that later), and pondering whether to step down the wall at the end of the hill so it's a consistent height and doesn't hem in the planting area behind so much. I like the simple straight-edge look better, though. Took it from the other company's design, but I now realize they fudged on something - the ground behind it slopes and there's nothing in front of the fence to retain dirt for a level planter.

But all else, good to go! I'm starting to get excited.

Outback Dundee Lounger (30x14) - $39,740
(3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2” plumbing, P200 SF Clean&Clear RP cartridge filter)
Arctic shimmer color upgrade - $0
SWG - Pentair Intellichlor IC40 - $475 upgrade
3 Pentair Microbrite LED - 2 at $0, 1 additional $659
Electrical - $2899
Gas heater - Pentair Master Temp 200 - $3700
Bubblers (2 - just plain returns) - $600
Automation - Pentair Easy Touch - $1000
Intelliflow VSF Pump - $500 upgrade
Landscape lighting (12 fixtures tied to automation) - $2050
Brushed concrete deck and coping (500 sq ft at $9) - $4500
Remove and reinstall fence for access - $750
Dirt hauling - $1250
Retaining wall - TechoBloc Raffinato - $6750
Buried drainpipe for downspout - $0
TOTAL - $64,873

Pool1.jpgPool2.jpgPool3.jpg

Last edited:
Signed the contract. Taking a risk with a new business, but all the references were stellar, and a consistent theme was, “They stood up for me and fixed things when I was having issues with River Pools.” Not that River is bad, I was close to an acceptable design and price with them, but I’ll be happy to have the company owners onsite. Onwards and upwards....

River offered to waive the escrow, a “free” color upgrade and 5% off, but I’d already signed the other contract. The power of competition and (I’m guessing) the upcoming off season.

River offered to waive the escrow, a “free” color upgrade and 5% off, but I’d already signed the other contract. The power of competition and (I’m guessing) the upcoming off season.
I just found this site today, so I’ve been reading all day long. So much great information on here. I got a quote from a River pools myself, what company did you end up signing with? I’d like to get a competing bid. I’m also interested to see how your build goes.

Reactions: Ematicic
I just found this site today, so I’ve been reading all day long. So much great information on here. I got a quote from a River pools myself, what company did you end up signing with? I’d like to get a competing bid. I’m also interested to see how your build goes.
Sent you a PM.

Arrrgh. So Miss Utility came over to remark all the utilities in the yard in preparation for the gas company scheduling the move of the gas line. This time they marked something they completely neglected in their previous trip over - the electrical line to my neighbor’s house. It was built at the same time as mine and there’s a large utility easement just north of the pool location we’ve taken great pains to avoid. Their electrical line is NOT in their easement. It goes diagonally across the pool area.

I have a one-year warranty from the homebuilder. His initial response was, not my problem, the electrical company does what it wants. What a load of Crud. As I told him, this strikes me as not my problem and I think my neighbor is likely to take the same position.

In any event got the numbers of the two engineers for the town’s electrical department and will call tomorrow. Hopefully it being a small place with a captive electric company and knowing my council members will be helpful. I don’t see how they can just ignore the easement, the line has no right to be where it is.

I hope I don’t end having to sue the homebuilder. The pool shell has been ordered, if this can’t get resolved pretty quick it’s going to hold everything up.

The utility should move the line into the easement...they don’t have the right to place utility lines outside of easements on private property. Really has nothing to do with the builder...they didn’t run the utility lines or decide where they are placed.

Probably would be worth the expense to get a professional surveyor to mark out the easement...nothing would suck more than to find out your pool/patio encroaches on the easement a few years down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtburf
Turns out it is the neighbors’ cable line. Much less of an issue. Comcast says they’re fixing it, and I’ll also notify the neighbor.

Reactions: NorCalX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.