Fiber Optic Pool light conversion to LED...less than $100.

gunny0628

Apr 4, 2015
High Springs, FL
So I have had this older fiber optic pool light that I've always wanted to replace/rebuild/repair since we bought the house many years ago. The bulb, transformer, light wheel and other parts were so expensive that it just didn't seem worth it.

One day I hooked up a flashlight to the fiber optic strands going to the pool and voila! There was light.

With Amazon what it is and the prices of LED lights now affordable - my brain got to working.

What I had was a Pentair PG2000 Fiber Optic Light with FiberWorks PG2000 photon generator.

Everything to replace or repair this thing was going to cost me over $600.​

So here's what I did.

Turned off the power at the main breaker - tested all connectors for electrical current.
Removed all the existing internals for the PG2000 Fiber Optic light. This was a mess - there were wires everywhere.
I wire-nutted almost every where, labeled and separated them - there were a lot of wires!

Since I had power to the unit via underground cabling - I installed a GFCI outlet in a weatherproof box inside the existing PG2000 housing. ($20)
I purchased an LED light with housing from Amazon - complete with remote control and options to change light colors. ($20)
I also purchased a small timer from Amazon to plug the light into - all of these items fit into the existing housing. ($20)
*sidenote - I went with a smaller 10w LED light for cooling purposes. I may upgrade to a 25W LED - but for now the lighting is not too bright, not too dim.

I then had to fabricate a connector that would go inside the LED light.

This connector was nothing more than a large washer that I had to plasma cut on my hobby cnc table.
I then attached a piece of pvc via epoxy to the metal ring. This would allow the fiber optic cabling to "sleeve' into the metal ring and pvc and connect to the light via a removable metal ring.

I'm sure there is more to this - and I'm probably forgetting a bunch. I never undertook this project before because of the cost to replace/repair the original equipment.

I tested it last night and it the lighting is adequate for our pool.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0927.JPEG

And yes, I know, I need to get the drain covers replaced on my pool.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
That is great, See if they have a 100 watt led that can be adjusted.. You can adjust from dim to light and pick just the right amount of light :)

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread