Fiber Clear

Jul 1, 2012
I am on my second season of using Fiber Clear brand of cellulose fiber in my Hayward Micro Clear DE Filter. I like many made a couple of mistakes along the way like using some of the chemicals that I used with DE.

I will never go back to regular DE although many have posted that they are not happy with Fiber Clear. Many of the users frustrations are around issues such as algae buildup or use of chemicals like classifiers. Part of the problem is that the Fiber Clear folks don't do a good job of explaining this on their package. You have to read through forums and go to their website to get the skinny. I wish I did before making mistakes that cost me time and money. They would probably sell more of their product if they invested in helping the pool user maximize the effectiveness.

The reason I will never go back is because it does a better job keeping my pool clear than DE by filtering down to 2 microns, I don't need to spend money on chemicals such as algaecide and classifiers. All I really need is Shock, my Nature 2 sanitizer and a low level on my inline Clor Tab.

Because cellulose products filter out smaller particles the biggest complaint people have is that you do need to backwash more frequently when opening your pool up. This happens quite frankly because it is catching the particles faster versus DE so when you really look at it you would have to run your pump for more hours to remove the same amount of particles. I do find that during this process I have to backwash a little longer time period but it rinses the Fiber Clear out really well. The only time I had to spray the grids off was the first year when I used the other chemicals. This season I inspected the inside of the filter after doing the 3rd backwash and there was very little residual material on the grids. What was there was primarily in the gaps where the stitching is at the top and not the grid surface. In previous years the DE would be caked on the grids after opening and I would have to spend a couple of hours properly cleaning them. The key is to watch the pressure and backwash when the pressure rises. Last year I only had to backwash 2 times during the season and this is a pool that gets heavily used and abused.

Some people say that if you have a lot of algae in the pool that gets trapped in the Fiber Clear that simply pouring liquid chlor down the skimmer will kill the algae in the filter. I have yet to experience this issue yet. I also like that I use 1/8th the amount of Fiber Clear versus DE and it is easy to charge my DE Filter from the skimmer.

Re: DE vs. Fiber Clear

The reason I will never go back is because it does a better job keeping my pool clear than DE by filtering down to 2 microns, I don't need to spend money on chemicals such as algaecide and classifiers. All I really need is Shock, my Nature 2 sanitizer and a low level on my inline Clor Tab.
I have no opinion on fiber clear but the above statement can't be attributed to it.

Filtering down to two microns is nice but virtually impossible for anyone to see with the naked eye. All types of filters will give you a crystal clear pool. Algaecides and (clarifiers?) are not needed in any well managed pool...fiber clear has nothing to do with that.

Shock (there really is no "shock" product....it's a process), is not necessary in a well managed pool and Nature2 is well documented on this forum as providing little to no benefit.

I am glad that your pool is doing well but it is misleading to give the credit to fiber clear or Nature2.

I am in my 2nd season of using cellulose media and I really like it. The first season I used Fiberclear which I bought at the local Leslies for approximately $21 (incl. tax) for a 3 pound bag. This season, I just bought a 25 pound bag of Purifiber directly from the manufacturer for $60 (incl. shipping and tax). This is much cheaper and looks identical to Fiberclear. I used it for the first time this weekend and the filter pressure is the same as when I used Fiberclear. Hope this helps.

I use Fiber Clear (or ZeoFiber) which ever is available. Both are the same cellulose-based product.

Although I choose to use it, I consider it an optional product. The main reason I use it is that it provides more finer filtration than my unassisted sand filter. Although I notice no difference in clarity during the day, I do see a slight improvement at night under the lights. During the off-season, I will probably not use it to save product since no one will be swimming then. A little goes a long way - at the rate I'm using it, the bag will last a few seasons, so the cost is minimal. Have not had any downside issues with the product. Backwashing for me is the same as before.

CliftonParkGMan said:
although many have posted that they are not happy with Fiber Clear
That isn't really true, around here at least. No one I can remember has complained about Fiber Clear here at TFP.

CliftonParkGMan said:
Because cellulose products filter out smaller particles the biggest complaint people have is that you do need to backwash more frequently when opening your pool up.
This is just as true of DE filters as it is of filters using cellulose products. Their filtering capabilities are nearly identical.

CliftonParkGMan said:
Some people say that if you have a lot of algae in the pool that gets trapped in the Fiber Clear that simply pouring liquid chlor down the skimmer will kill the algae in the filter.
Algae dies without sunlight. There is no sunlight inside the filter, so worrying about the algae in the filter is pointless. Regardless, we don't recommend pouring bleach/liquid chlorine directly in the skimmer as there is a small chance it could damage your equipment over time.

Boland01 said:
I've been considering making the move from DE to fiber Clear product. Thanks for the information. I may give it a try this fall when I clean out my grids. Is there any pressure difference on your filter using one versus the other?
I haven't seen any difference.

And I was just (literally) out on the front lawn watering and I see no traces at all where I backwashed my filter onto it. Try that with DE!

This is my third season with FiberClear and I'm quite happy with it. My biggest reasons for switching were handling of DE and not having to worry about backwashing onto my lawn. It works at least as good as DE for me. I haven't changed anything else in my BBB routine.

Sean

I have been using Fiber clear (or other brand of cellulose) and it's worked great. When I had a swamp last year, I needed to dedicate a weekend to "filter the swamp" but short cycles between bumps and frequent media changes are par for the course and the thorn in the side of any DE users existence. last year, I went back and forth between the DE and cellulose and the cellulose was easier as it could be backwashed to anywhere, the DE needed to be dumped. I didn't see any difference in performance but when you are changing the DE two or thee times in a day, how could you?

The good thing, at least in my mind was if I dedicated the time to bump and change the media, the pool was nearly clear when I was done and it didn't take a week of 24/7 pumping for the water to clear up. I could go from swamp to clear in one weekend.

I guess I just noticed something about this. Until this summer and BBB, I have been using the largest pucks I could and floating them 5 at a time to fight the green. I didn't understand CYA and I was embarrassed to go to the pool store and admit I had a swamp and needed help. But, I do know, if I started Saturday on a mission to go from swamp to clear, I could do it in that weekend. The big realization I just had while typing this message, was I did the swamp to clear process without adding ANY chemicals, no chlorine, no algaecides (they were useless in my CYA laden swamp). I did it all using the ability of my DE filter to remove the junk in my pool. Problem was... once it was clear, I floated my pucks and it would green all over again no matter what I did until I would get fed up and change all the water... or ignore it until the next spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.