Headbanger783

Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
So we are looking to get a fiberglass pool. The area we are in has high bedrock, a survey in 2005 says it’s about 3-5 down on average. The pool is only going to be 5 1/2-6ft deep. So it may not even be hit, but then again it may. Anyone have expirence hitting rock while digging and what was involved?

I believe it’s a shale rock, so hopefully not super hard. We had a new well dug in the late winter and they said they didn’t hit it to far down...a couple feet. The pool location is about 100ft from there (and higher up). And when they dug to replace the well water line they didn’t seem to have any trouble.

I dug a new drainage trench and about a foot and a half down I hit it ( again not near the pool site). It was a lot of work but still broke up a lot with a shovel...

Last edited:
Hitting rock around us is the norm (hard limestone). They just attach a giant jackhammer type device to the excavator and go to town.

Just check to make sure when you get quotes that you ask if there is an extra cost if they hit rock or not.

I've seen a few pools dug down x feed but ultimately a large ledge of the shell is built up above ground and surrounded by a finished "wall". It isn't a bad idea at all for difficult areas and can be very attractive.

Just something to consider.

Maddie

Thanks we are looking at a small pool. The Latham Vista Isle. So although there will be a lot of excavation not nearly as much as some much bigger

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.