Few Issues with Pool After startup

Mechaero19

May 17, 2019
Aaysurami19
So normally I close and open my own in ground pool. It is 12x36 ft rectangular.

History:

Purchased the house in 2016, closed the pool myself:
2017 summer: replaced the entire grid for my filter, one pump motor, multiport valve spider gasket, and DE filter tank pressure gauge.
-The reason for the new filter grid was because I noticed DE in the pool. Several grids were torn. Replaced the grid with a new set up, drop in. Problem solved.
-The reason for the new motor, the bearing was shot, no chance of replacing. Pump was original. Replaced motor with all new gaskets. Problem solved:
2018 summer, Air bubbles introduce themselves to the pump and the return jets. Just inspected the equipment, no signs of leaks, replaced pump basket lid. Didn't bother with anything else.
2019 (5/10/19 - present) - Opened the pool, got the equipment up and running. Typical algae in pool, and leaves, and Crud. Water is greenish.
- Noticed pressure in filter increase to 30 psi. Normally has been operating at 25 avg. After backwash, around 21-22psi. So back to the 30psi. I turn everything off, removed the filter grid, notices last years DE stuck to the bottom manifold in large clumps. Removed everything, water the whole grid one by one, popped everything back in. Pressure back to normal. Made a rookie mistake after this, Ran the pool in filter mode, with no recharge, or pool shock. (I'm assuming algae is stuck to the filter). A day later, I charge the filter, pressure is around 25psi, After a few minutes, the farthest return jet barely has any pressure. Pool has a total of 5 return jets. The two closest to the equipment blow fine. as the jets get further away from the equipment, there is pressure drop in returns. Also, the two middle return jets, that run the 36 foot length, do not have the nozzles installed yet, I cannot reach them because there a flower bed adjacent to that side. I would have to get in the water to install the jets. Side note, I also checked the spider gasket in the multiport valve, Looks brand spanking new, and seated tight.

5/17/19 - Today I am going to open the DE filter, rinse, and recharge fresh again. Lubricate the pump lid seal, and the filter tank seal. Jump in 30 degree water and install the remaining jets.

Questions I have:

1 - I do not know what is causing the air to come into the filter basket. 2018 I used heavy duty thick sealant over the joints for all the plumbing that is above ground
2 - If the pressure in the tank is running at normal, 25 psi avg, why are the return jets not showing any pressure as they get further away from the equipment. This happens in filter mode, and recirculate mode. No difference. Can the pressure in the filter tank be normal even though there is air in the pump basket. Correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't air travel up to the basket lid, and not cause bubbles to return. Also in the filter tank, there is an air relief tube, based on the design it looks like it is supposed to relieve additional air in the system.

Additional things to look at:
1 - I notice that there is a leak on the pressure side as soon as that pipe is threaded on the pump, going to the multivalve port.
2 - Open the pump and check the impeller for any clogs.

Any advice would be great. I will post pictures of my setup this weekend.

Welcome to TFP.

Please put the details of your pool in your signature. See What we need to know to answer your questions We need to know specific models of your pump and filter. Pics of your equipment will also help.

Can you manually open the air relief valve on your filter and burp the filter and release air? You can use that to remove air from the system.

Your 25 PSI is the pressure is between the pump and the filter. It is not the pressure that the outflow water has to the pool returns.

Small air bubbles get mixed in the water, pass through the pump and filter, and show in the returns. If you have air coming out of the returns it means you likely have air at the top of the filter and in the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.