Fence Experiences? Protect a Child vs. Baby Guard

rhawke

Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Hi,

I had a bunch of pool fence companies come out for a 120 feet linear fence with a self closing gate and am down to two brands based on price and consulting so far:

Protect A Child with their fiberglass non breakable poles at $2,300
Baby Guard Pool Fence at $2,000 with a traditional aluminum pole fence.

I also had Life Safer, Pool Guard and Katch a Kid provide quotes but they were all higher than Protect A Child.

I'm looking for somebody that has had one of these two and can tell from experience how they will hold up? Not just from safety design but also visually? Do all these look faded and ready to toss in 5 years? I need to get at least 10 years out of this fence, having a our first child right now at age 1.

The fiberglass pole looks impressive with regard to withstanding bending and not breaking, but does that last 10 years in the 100 degree Houston sun?

Thanks for some thoughts!

I nixed all the ”removable” pool fences. For a lot less money, I installed a five foot metal fence with self closing gate and Magnalatch. I feel it’s much better looking and it’s much safer. If a fence is going to be there for 10 years, why use a temporary product. If and when the time comes a metal fence can still be taken down, it’s just a bit more work than just pulling the temporary poles out of their sockets.

Reactions: proavia
We got ours close to 20 years ago and I'm amazed how good they still look. I only started taking parts of the fence sections down about 3 years ago since I finally wasn't worried about the visiting neighborhood kids around the pool. But I still leave parts of it up as a towel rack! To be honest I don't remember the brand but it looks more like the Baby Guard one. Its faded some, and some visual wearing where there was something continually rubbing against it like the place where we put the pool poles or chairs. but it took years (more than 10) for it to be noticeable. Ours is green and 5 feet high. I was really planning on a metal fence when my wife came up with this one. It seemed like the price would have been a wash, and this one was a lot easier to take down. I think if I would have taken the job to install a metal one,... it might still be on my honey do list 19 years later. ;)

Will this be the main fence for your pool/property? Or will the pool be fenced (using a temp one like these) inside a more permanent fence?

Chief, which fence style did you have first?

Why did you switch?

I nixed all the ”removable” pool fences. For a lot less money, I installed a five foot metal fence with self closing gate and Magnalatch. I feel it’s much better looking and it’s much safer. If a fence is going to be there for 10 years, why use a temporary product. If and when the time comes a metal fence can still be taken down, it’s just a bit more work than just pulling the temporary poles out of their sockets.
I still want to be able to take the fence down for parties, or open up at least one side. From what the reps told me it should be 1-2 minutes for just a small section and maybe 10 minutes to take down the whole fence.

Will this be the main fence for your pool/property? Or will the pool be fenced (using a temp one like these) inside a more permanent fence?
No, we already have a wood fence fully enclosing the entire backyard. So this is just for our own toddler to not fall in when we are outside in the backyard and not having to keep eyes constantly on her when we are eating out on the patio.

we already have a wood fence fully enclosing the entire backyard. So this is just for our own toddler to not fall in when we are outside in the backyard and not having to keep eyes constantly on her when we are eating out on the patio
Kudos to you for going the often skipped extra mile. I get it. I do. Everybody including myself ends up spending so much money that every dollar hurts like 1000 more, but the first decision we made was to fence the pool itself to erase any worries.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I still want to be able to take the fence down for parties, or open up at least one side. From what the reps told me it should be 1-2 minutes for just a small section and maybe 10 minutes to take down the whole fence.

No, we already have a wood fence fully enclosing the entire backyard. So this is just for our own toddler to not fall in when we are outside in the backyard and not having to keep eyes constantly on her when we are eating out on the patio.
That's what we did.... we would open it up for parties, And same thing for us, the our whole backyard is enclosed with a 6ft high wooden fence. the mesh fence is surrounding only our pool... Lets see if I can find the previous thread where I posted my fence....Here I found it, with pics of my fence about 18 years after it was installed.=:
Mesh or metal fence

Last edited:
That's what we did.... we would open it up for parties, And same thing for us, the our whole backyard is enclosed with a 6ft high wooden fence. the mesh fence is surrounding only our pool... Lets see if I can find the previous thread where I posted my fence....Here I found it, with pics of my fence about 18 years after it was installed.=:
Mesh or metal fence

Thanks. I assume these are just hollow aluminum poles? Any issues with bending? Fading mesh?

Thanks. I assume these are just hollow aluminum poles? Any issues with bending? Fading mesh?
Mine are similar to the ones on the Baby Guard site. They are not solid but tubes with an internal cross in the extrusion. I've never had one bend. We've taken sections of the fence down a number of times over the years with no issues. I supposed if some teenager or adult full on ran into it, that it would bend, but so far not from the normal tension the fence is in.
Yeah I would have to say its faded some.. but that is comparing sections of the fence that were always in the sun to sections that weren't over the span of 18 years. Honestly I never noticed it until I put the two section together. And if your time frame for using it is 10 years I don't think you'll notice a thing.
BTW we installed ours around the time my oldest was 4ish.. and then we had 3 more kids... so its seen its use. The latch is at the top of the fence so they couldn't reach it unless they got on a stool. I got the one with the lock but never used it. The rule in our house was no one in the pool area until an adult was there. They would line up in front of the gate with their towels and wait like rabid dogs. When the oldest was tall enough to reach the gate.. he would monitor every one else and not let them in until mom or dad was there. I really have to say it was one of the best things I ever got for the pool (well that and a SWG) ;)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.