Fence entire yard or just around the pool?

Apr 7, 2017
Channahon, IL
We are in the process of getting a contractor for an inground pool. My yard is currently fenced in with a 4 ft aluminum fence, only half of it because of HOA restrictions. Luckily the pool will fit within the existing fence. We have four children that all know how to swim and have no concerns with them being within the yard with a pool as we had an intex the past two years. In order to fit the larger inground pool though, we will have to move the trampoline and playset out of the fenced area. We have the option now with new HOA rules to extend our fence so the entire yard is fenced. I know my kids would enjoy going from the pool to the trampoline and playset without going through the gate like they have the past few years....and risking any of my three dogs getting out either. I see a lot of pools with fences just around the pool and am trying to understand why. I'm guessing if they have dogs they must be on electric fences or leashed. At this stage, our fence is mainly for our dogs and pool safety. Does anybody have their entire yard fenced, pool and all, and wish their pool was separate?

I'll tell you how it works in Florida, maybe similar in your area

The pool must be restricted from access by kids by a continuous fence with self latching mechanisms and all entry latches above 54 inches (4 ft is 48 inches).

In Florida, a yard with a 4 ft fence wouldn't meet the safety requirements.

It's not about your kids, it's about all the other kids around you (in Florida....)

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like 4 ft is fine in IL. I guess your kids are shorter than ours lol

Section 10. Barrier required. A protective fence, wall,
21 or other effective permanent barrier shall completely enclose
22 the perimeter of a swimming pool the construction or
23 installation of which is completed on or after the effective
24 date of this Act. The fence, wall, or other barrier shall be
25 at least 42 inches in height.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/legisnet90/hbgroups/hb/900HB1009LV.html

Before out pool was installed, we had only part of the yard fenced in. This was for our dogs and for the grandkids playset. Once pool was installed, we fenced the entire back yard in, and glad we did. This allows us to use the other parts for not only dogs and grandkids, but when having company. Have room for plenty of people. When partially fenced, it felt like the rest of the yard was only there to look at. Now its like one big yard.

We are required to have a 5 ft fence and if we use any part of the house with access, then we need an alarm on our door when anyone goes in our out of the access points (or you can have an automatic safety cover). That is why a lot of people just fence in the pool here. I'm going to get the inspections all done and then the alarm may break..lol. I am fencing most of my yard for the dogs. Our HOA doesn't allow fences except with pools. I joke that I'm getting a pool just for the fence..most expensive fence I've ever built! lol

I fenced the entire yard. Aesthetically, I think it looks much nicer. I didn't want to block the view of the pool with a fence or feel confined while using it. Our fence is an aluminum (wrought iron looking) fence that is 5' with the self-latching gate mechanisms.

Yes, 4 ft meets code, we just have to change the locks. I really want one cohesive space for when we are entertaining like you said GaryT58. In practice for the pool now, I put a key lock on both of my gates. Of course because we have not extended the fence, the playset and trampoline are out of the yard and the kids have to go out of the front door and around the house. They are struggling with this.....and so is my husband. We have a pond in our backyard so it also means going out the front with fishing poles and around to get to the pond. It's not that big of a deal, would just take some getting used to. We tend to be a hub home for the neighborhood since we are the ONLY fenced yard on our block and I am fine with that but since my kids are self reliant and some of these other kids aren't, my yard turns into a daycare and I am left babysitting. I want the kids to still come over and be able to play and fencing the entire yard will just limit them being in the yard during pool season without their parents coming too (I may really like this for the younger ones!)
So, for those with fully fenced yards, do you keep the gates locked at ALL times then and have guests come through your home? I was joking with the one neighbor When I put the master lock on the gate and she said just get rid of the gate all together. I obviously will need access and doubt we would eliminate gates all together but it made me think a little as to the logistics of how we would utilize the space would all change. No more constant in and out of gates....but now all these kids in my house?!??? I don't know what is worse.

I thought of adding a temporary/removable fence as it would take just one 60ft run to separate the pool from the rest of the yard. Then when we are entertaining we would take it all down. Is that something you can easily add later (into concrete)? How much of a pain is it to take down/put up on a regular basis?

I wouldn't eliminate gates completely. We still go in and out of ours for trash cans, mowing, etc. But when not in use we have latches on the outside that are locked with a padlock as well as a magnalatch on the inside. This means the gate cannot be opened from the outside or inside without undoing both latches (if it is unlocked)...

I do not have locks on gates. But I have an automatic cover, so we close the pool cover when we are not home. If we did not have that, then I would out some sort of lock on gates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in kaliformia. Before my remodel I had a fence around the pool. It was like that for 50 years. When I did the remodel I took down the fence. My inspector made me put alarms on all the doors and gates that have access to the back yard. My walls are 6ft tall. My kids are now teenagers. It's much more open with out the fence around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.