Feedback on Layout Please

GoJackets

Apr 24, 2021
Atlanta, GA
We are about to get started on our pool, and I’m having major second thoughts on the layout (sigh). We are heavily restricted due to impervious surface limits and a tree perimeter on the placement and size of our pool and decking. Through the variance/permit approval process we’ve lost some of our planned decking and at the last minute we swapped the sunshelf and spa location as seen in the attached. I’m now wondering whether that’s the right choice and questioning the whole layout generally. Any feedback? Some considerations below:

- it is just my husband and I and we plan to use the pool primarily as a plunge pool for ourselves and backdrop for entertaining (but not actually entertaining in the pool/spa)
- the area where the spa is currently located provides more privacy from the neighbors
- the spa is a flush style spa
- I thought the spa may be nice by the fireplace at night but in the current placement it’s in the center of the entertaining space where the dining table, grill area, etc will be - is that weird for use during the day? And is it too far to have to walk around the spa to access the steps from that fireplace/entertaining area?
-I plan to put loungers on the sun shelf and directionally that’s the best view in our yard but the city wouldn’t allow us to have enough patio to go all around the sun shelf (bottom of drawing). Does that make it practically unusable? Anyone else with grass running up to the edge of their sun shelf?
- is the sun shelf too far from the entertaining area such that it won’t really get used? To that end, is a sun shelf even worth it given how small our pool is?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DEEDDD22-505A-4459-A117-130C554EC469.jpeg
    DEEDDD22-505A-4459-A117-130C554EC469.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 65
What is the depth profile of the pool?

- I thought the spa may be nice by the fireplace at night but in the current placement it’s in the center of the entertaining space where the dining table, grill area, etc will be - is that weird for use during the day?

Looks fine to me.

And is it too far to have to walk around the spa to access the steps from that fireplace/entertaining area?

It does not look like a long hike.

-I plan to put loungers on the sun shelf and directionally that’s the best view in our yard but the city wouldn’t allow us to have enough patio to go all around the sun shelf (bottom of drawing). Does that make it practically unusable? Anyone else with grass running up to the edge of their sun shelf?

Nothing wrong with loungers on the grass on that aide of the pool.

- is the sun shelf too far from the entertaining area such that it won’t really get used? To that end, is a sun shelf even worth it given how small our pool is?

I would get rid of the sun shelf. Between the sun shelf and the spa you end up with a narrow pool area.

Thanks for the feedback. I still need to work with the pool contractor on the depth profile - we have discussed it going from 3-5 feet. We primarily just want it for lounging/play. I am 5’1” and my husband is 6’1”. I am really torn on the pool shelf because I know a lot of people who say it’s their favorite part of their pool.

but the city wouldn’t allow us to have enough patio to go all around the sun shelf (bottom of drawing). Does that make it practically unusable? Anyone else with grass running up to the edge of their sun shelf?
Anytime you have grass next to the coping of the pool you run the risk of having grass and debris from foot traffic into the pool. So that is something you just need to plan for. You haven't mentioned kids as they are the ones jumping in and out of a pool on every side.
I would definitely target minimum 3.5ft and suggest you go to 5.5ft. If it is mainly adults, you will be floating on noodles so it is really best to have a little deeper.
Here's a radical thought - have you considered putting the tanning deck next to the spa on that narrow end? Then have the steps come off of it into the pool. Basically the steps would end where the spa ends or could make them go a little further into the pool if needed. Therefore the bottom of your drawing would become the deep end. I know you mentioned something about a view of the garden from the current location but that would put the spa and tanning deck on one end where all the foot traffic will be and that will have pavers.

Thank you for your feedback. We don’t have children so that shouldn’t be an issue but I do worry about debris from maintenance.
There is unfortunately a grade change and a raised beam wall, steps are on either side that don’t appear on these plans, so we unfortunately cannot have the sunshelf on the narrow side (sigh!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.