Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
First concepts (we are DIY, these are from the design team). We had a few landscape/HOA suggestions and asked to have the bench by the sun shelf changed to some steps in.

Thoughts overall? We are planning SWG and artificial turf. We have another revision remaining.

Our yard is about 55' by 30' (to patio).

Pumps for pool and spa with a spillover is one VS good?

Attachments

• Case_Donald 1.0_001.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_001.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Case_Donald 1.0_006-1.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_006-1.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Case_Donald 1.0_007.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_007.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Case_Donald 1.0_004.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_004.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Case_Donald 1.0_014.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_014.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Case_Donald 1.0_016.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_016.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Case_Donald 1.0_010.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_010.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 59
I like the design. The only real question I have is the water depth. Notice I said WATER depth as some measure the depth from the floor to the coping. Water depth is from the floor to the middle of skimmer opening. The difference could be up to 6".

When you say "change the bench to steps" what are you thinking? I have a couple of ideas for that area but want to know what you are thinking first.

Kim:kim:

Playpool style. Depth 3.5 to 5 to 3.5. But that's a great point as to water depth vs coping to bottom depth. We want water depth. How to we ensure the engineering and construction plans note that? Or is that at the sub level..or both?

So there is a short bench between the shelf and the spa. Wed rather have some small steps in that location to walk down from the shelf. That's about a 2' wide bench. We don't want to have those steps intrude past the spa edge tho.

Pool depth- that should be on the pool plans that are given to the subs. It is on you to make sure they dig to the correct size with a tape measure before they leave when they say they are done. You will add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster.

If you have the steps hug the wall it should be okay. They might be steeper steps though so really think it through.

The design is beautiful.

Very minor suggestion.

If this is full or mostly sun, I would place some stepping stone pavers in, or some sun shades over the artificial turf. While I love artificial turf for maintenance, keeping the pool clean, for my dogs; if it was my only way to get to the pool, there are times of the day, I wouldn't do it barefoot unless there was some shade to cool it.

Reactions: Bjohn
The design is beautiful.

Very minor suggestion.

If this is full or mostly sun, I would place some stepping stone pavers in, or some sun shades over the artificial turf. While I love artificial turf for maintenance, keeping the pool clean, for my dogs; if it was my only way to get to the pool, there are times of the day, I wouldn't do it barefoot unless there was some shade to cool it.
We like the idea of some stepping stones as well. We will eventually put a pergola over the outdoor kitchen, which is on the west side so will cast nice shade in the afternoon. Arizona sucks lol.

Last edited:
Pool depth- that should be on the pool plans that are given to the subs. It is on you to make sure they dig to the correct size with a tape measure before they leave when they say they are done. You will add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster.

If you have the steps hug the wall it should be okay. They might be steeper steps though so really think it through.
Ok they haven't started those plans but I will be sure to have an eye on that.

Yeah that is exactly my concern on steps. Next concept revision I will tag you for feedback.

Reactions: kimkats
You going gas or wood fire pit? Ours is wood now and we'll be converting to natural gas when the pool goes in. Smoke from wood is a pain. Make sure you have venting built into the bottom of the pit.

Sink on the summer kitchen is a must. Having to walk back into the house to clean up utensils and wash hands is annoying.

I like the symmetry of the benches flanking the spa, but steps seem like a necessity.

Reactions: ddoggphx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You going gas or wood fire pit? Ours is wood now and we'll be converting to natural gas when the pool goes in. Smoke from wood is a pain. Make sure you have venting built into the bottom of the pit.

Sink on the summer kitchen is a must. Having to walk back into the house to clean up utensils and wash hands is annoying.

I like the symmetry of the benches flanking the spa, but steps seem like a necessity.
Wood. I built our current fire pit and yeah bottom venting is key.

Thx for confirmation on our thought regarding bench vs steps.

Attachments

• 20210911_113457.jpg
    20210911_113457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20210917_005247.jpg
    20210917_005247.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 14
I like your design and the rounded edge on the geo metric shape. I did something similar to add a little contrast to all the right angles.

I like your design and the rounded edge on the geo metric shape. I did something similar to add a little contrast to all the right angles.
Can you show yours?

I like the curve for that reason, and it then opens up the ability to curve the other landscape items.

Bump for replies and more feedback. We have one revision remaining after our first round of input we sent in already.

Just had a few things for you to consider,
How many jets in the spa? 7’ X 7’ for a spa is a bit on the small size in my opinion but for some reason designers always use that size. Are you thinking of multiple back jets, calf or foot jets? One VS pump will not be enough if you want a little more from your spa.
Also your reef steep is at 7’ at its longest point and the lounges need at least that so you can walk around them but the reef is at a radius so you will not meet that.
You may want to consider a step from your reef steel to the pool floor.
What do you plan on facing the spa face with?
I like to place the pool lights on the wall that’s closest to the house so you get no direct light shining at the house.
There’s more to comment on but the plans don’t have enough details on them at this time, hope this helps, Ray.

Just had a few things for you to consider,
How many jets in the spa? 7’ X 7’ for a spa is a bit on the small size in my opinion but for some reason designers always use that size. Are you thinking of multiple back jets, calf or foot jets? One VS pump will not be enough if you want a little more from your spa.
Also your reef steep is at 7’ at its longest point and the lounges need at least that so you can walk around them but the reef is at a radius so you will not meet that.
You may want to consider a step from your reef steel to the pool floor.
What do you plan on facing the spa face with?
I like to place the pool lights on the wall that’s closest to the house so you get no direct light shining at the house.
There’s more to comment on but the plans don’t have enough details on them at this time, hope this helps, Ray.
Awesome stuff!

5 jets in the spa. Not sure where to put them.

We are removing the loungers..don't like those in the first place.

Not sure yet on material for spa facing. What's common?

We definitely are asking for a step from the Reef. Our thought us to replace the spa side bench there with steps down.

Great point on light placement!

Would a 2hp pump do the trick?

Thank you!!

Why only 5 jets?
I would suggest 2 back jets and one calf jet for you and one more adult positioned on the wall that has the best view of the back yard
Spa walls that have a stacked stone will show calcium deposits very quickly and is something you should consider
Spa side steps? Are those the ones inside the pool? If so steps will eat up your pool area unlike a seat that’s on the plans
2 hp pump along with the VS or instead of the VS , sometimes I have plumbers install a VF pump if only installing one pump because it has 80 more HP than a VS

Why only 5 jets?
I would suggest 2 back jets and one calf jet for you and one more adult positioned on the wall that has the best view of the back yard
Spa walls that have a stacked stone will show calcium deposits very quickly and is something you should consider
Spa side steps? Are those the ones inside the pool? If so steps will eat up your pool area unlike a seat that’s on the plans
2 hp pump along with the VS or instead of the VS , sometimes I have plumbers install a VF pump if only installing one pump because it has 80 more HP than a VS
5 jets is the baseline for it. More cost for more jets. I decide that in the field tho.

We have proposed just chopping that seat into a step-down. It's at the 3.5 ft side, and 2' wide. So narrow steps but we don't want any more intrusion.

Was looking at pentair intelliflow VS pump at 2HP for both pool and spa. 🤷

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.