Feedback On Equipment Selection

Greetings Pool People !
I am a newbie we are just in the construction phase, about to start our dig. I would be so very grateful for some input as I am at a point where I can still make some changes. After following this group I have come to the conclusion I had best focus on the equipment they have put in the plan and get educated ASAP! I would like insure that my equipment will make water quality and maintenance as easy and good as I can get it.
The pool is to be in ground, Gunite , 16x35, they plan pro logic salt system , Hayward tri star 950 variable speed pump , hayward sand filter w/glass media , tiger shark robotic cleaner, Aqua Cal Heat /Cool pump. Questions:
Is sand or Diatomaceous earth filter best ? Any feedback on the pump they plan ? Thoughts on the salt system?
Robotic cleaner feedback , I really was thinking Dolphin or Polaris would be best?
Most important things I need to watch out for during construction?

needsajet

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Be sure the saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG ) is the large model T-Cell-15.

Otherwise looking good to me. Nice to keep anything electric in Hayward brand in case automation is added later.

Sand vs. DE... tough one, but for lowest maintenance, least effort, go with sand.

For the most sparkling water, and all TFPC water can be made to sparkle, regardless of filter, go with DE for the sparkliest water for maximum possible total time. Your robot cleaner may have fine mesh or cloth bag that can also clean down to very fine microns, the way DE filters do. Sand can be enhanced a wee bit by adding a small amount of DE after backwashing, but nothing matches DE for flawless diamond status.

I would add auto-fill and overflow, and would go for two skimmers. Not everyone will agree, just my opinion.

Reactions: parkinsmith
Be sure the saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG ) is the large model T-Cell-15.

Otherwise looking good to me. Nice to keep anything electric in Hayward brand in case automation is added later.

Sand vs. DE... tough one, but for lowest maintenance, least effort, go with sand.

For the most sparkling water, and all TFPC water can be made to sparkle, regardless of filter, go with DE for the sparkliest water for maximum possible total time. Your robot cleaner may have fine mesh or cloth bag that can also clean down to very fine microns, the way DE filters do. Sand can be enhanced a wee bit by adding a small amount of DE after backwashing, but nothing matches DE for flawless diamond status.

I would add auto-fill and overflow, and would go for two skimmers. Not everyone will agree, just my opinion.
Thank you so very much for your feedback . The sand /DE is a tough one for me as it seems like there more to do with a DE for regular use , being a first time owner this does concern me a bit but I have been strongly been considering DE just seems easier use with sand . Your comments about the right robot cleaner to address the fine microns is very helpful ! Thanks again for the insights!

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Personally I would switch to a cartridge filter. I have used both and cartridges are way, way less maintenance. I clean the cartridges maybe 2x per season and never have to worry about backwashing or the multiport valve going bad. A set of cartridges last 5 years or more.

needsajet

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Cartridge is a very good option also, as mentioned. Here's an article you might enjoy:

If you go without a multiport valve, include a draining outlet on the system somewhere else.

I forgot to mention earlier, a hard-plumbed drain / backwash line is nice to have, rather than relying on a flexible hose you need to mess with when draining.