FC still too high to close; freeze warnings next 2 nights. Thoughts?

1stTimePoolMom

Sep 15, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
CYA is 40, FC 23 (down from
29 last Sunday) with freeze warnings the next two nights I am assuming I should run the pump 24/7 while waiting for the FC to come down to 15. Then alegocide for 24 and close.
Is this assumption correct?
a better/different way to handle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just close the pool. There is no FC that is too high to close.

What algaecide are you talking about using?

Reactions: mariane
I'll let others talk about the FC level and vinyl lining, since I do not have vinyl, but I took a peek at the Charlotte forecast. I don's see any freezing temps anytime in your near future so hopefully there is not rush to close.

If you do get freezing temps, I assume it will be for just a few hours overnight. Just simply turn your pump on before bed and turn it back off when you wake up.
I'm in Dallas and we never close our pools and get into the 20's some nights without any issues. You should be fine for a few days/weeks.

I would probably let that burn off a little closer to slam level for your cya (which would be 16) before u cover & just run the pump during the upcoming cold temps like others mentioned . Just curious Why so much fc in the 1st place? Higher than SLAM Process levels are not good for your liner/ equipment.
Polyquat 60 is the only recommended algeacide & it’s purpose during closing is to be insurance if the water heats up &/or your fc drops to zero. If you close late (w/ 60 degree water) & open early (w/ 60 degree) water you likely won’t need that insurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.