FC staying at 20-21. Should I close?

Jan 4, 2017
matawan NJ
Hello. I'm closing my pool for the first time on my own. I've watched the pool company do it for 4 years and im confident in my plan of action. lol. So 2 days ago I SLAM'd it and brought it up to 24 (my CYA was at 60). Since then we've had no sun and the FC is staying put at 20-21. I wanted to close tomorrow. Should I:
A) wait till FC is around 5 and put poly-quat 60. (prob won't be at 5 till next week)
B) close tomorrow at FC-20 and leave out the Poly-Quit 60
c) close tomorrow and put poly-quat 60 anyway
D) something else

(I don't think c should be done, but throwing it out there anyway.)

Thank you for any help given.

Last edited:
I don’t know the answer but I have the same problem. I have a company coming to close the pool on Monday and my FC is not dropping at all. My CYA too is 60 and I brought my FC to 24 yesterday and today it is still at 24. I have an auto cover and even if I leave it open I don’t think the FC will drop significantly. And I really don’t want to keep it open because then I fight the leaves.

I read on the site of the Polyquat manufacturer that high FC levels will break down the Polyquat 60 but it should still be effective. At least that is what I understood it to say, I am no chemist. I am thinking that if the FC is around 20 when I close I will just bring it back up to 24 and close the pool without the Polyquat 60. But if it does not hurt to add it I will. Any comments?

Reactions: vig1116
I think in both of your cases you could close without the poly this year based on the elevated FC level. Your temps have been moderate thus far, but once you get that cold air to drop-in on you to drive the water temps down, you should be fine.

Reactions: Kjp300
so, all done. I added more than I should have I guess and FC was about 28. Being first time, now I'm just worried I put the plugs tight enough and they stay the whole winter. lol

Last question. Since I already bought the poly quat 60, do you think I should check the FC in a week or two and then its 4 or 5 just add the poly? My thinking is, the shelf life prob won't be good for closing next year, so I already spent the $$. Taking a few cover springs off is simple to just spread around the poly. Thanks again!!!

If you can get access to the water as you mentioned, sure. But I would wait until the the FC is down to around 10 or below. Anything higher and it's just going to get broken-down by the chlorine. An FC reading may not be as accurate as when the water was moving and mixing, but should be close enough.

Reactions: vig1116
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.