FC is High, Water feels Hard.

May 15, 2012
Water is pretty hard, hands feel almost sticky.

Using simple Aqua Check test strips, so Numbers might not be the best. (rough estimates below)
Total Hardness -= 500
TC = 4
FC = 7.5
PH = 6.8-7
TA = 60
CA = 0

Water is clean and clear. Heavy Algae this spring, so our pool guy recomended keeping the Chlorine high by using multiple tablets.

Im reading a bit here about NOT using Chlorine tablets in the skimmers, which I have been doing. (sometimes 6 at a time, 3 each skimmer, as was recomended.)

I'm going to through in some Baking Soda, and Borax to get PH and TA up. Any other suggestions welcome.

A good test kit would be a great investment.

Is the zero CA calcium hardness or stabilizer? Guessing it must be CH since you have been using tablets.

Hard to give advice without knowing stabilizer level.

No need to raise TA at this point.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

LearnTheHardWay said:
Water is pretty hard, hands feel almost sticky.

Using simple Aqua Check test strips, so Numbers might not be the best. (rough estimates below)

I'm going to through in some Baking Soda, and Borax to get PH and TA up. Any other suggestions welcome.
Before you spend any money on more chemicals, buy a test kit.

You've doubtless read here that we push the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100. In your case, even spending ten bucks on a drop-type pH and chlorine tester may save you that much in unneeded chemicals. I wouldn't trust the strips at all.

Try this: dip your strip and immediately check pH. Then look at it again in a minute. Then in 5 minutes. Then dip another and compare the newest one with the old one. Betcha they read different. Then do what comes naturally, set the wet strip on the color card. The surface tension will cause the samples to bleed into each other. Now what does the pH say?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.