Dabrodas

May 12, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey guys! So since I had so much success with my TF-100 and TFP method, I’ve been excited to test all my family members pools... which is probably a mistake.

just curious, my in laws pool is all out of whack with results! But they have maintained this pool for 20 years and only ever have to dump liquid chlorine and use yellow treat about once a season. They also use trichlor pucks in and in-line tab feeder.

I probably won’t get them to follow everything I say, as I’m brand new to pools, but I thought the results were interesting (attached). He did acknowledge he is low on FC and went to get 5gallons of liquid chlorine today.

it is a 26k gallon, chlorine tab feeder, with DE filter.

They never seem to have an issue with calcium build up and pool is always crystal clear, with the occasional algae (once a season) they use Yellow Treat for.

So as I work on getting them to follow TFP religiously (like I do), thought I would get y’all’s thoughts and opinions! Just more than one way to skin a cat? I thought the CH was never going to turn blue! Lol. They use a deep well (hard water) for fill when low.
1624233739486.png

With Yellow Treat (if sodium bromide), the CYA does nothing. The chlorine converts the bromide to bromine. Bromine is not protected by CYA. Bromine converts to bromide when impacted by UV or organics. And the cycle repeats.

The no scaling is surprising. Is this a plaster or liner pool?

With Yellow Treat (if sodium bromide), the CYA does nothing. The chlorine converts the bromide to bromine. Bromine is not protected by CYA. Bromine converts to bromide when impacted by UV or organics. And the cycle repeats.

The no scaling is surprising. Is this a plaster or liner pool?
Plaster!

Interesting.
Pool water with high pH, high CH, and that TA must be very drying to the skin when you dry off. Only way to check for organics is to do an OCLT. As the UV will not impact the bromine and you can test that overnight.

Good for them if they like it.

Pool water with high pH, high CH, and that TA must be very drying to the skin when you dry off. Only way to check for organics is to do an OCLT. As the UV will not impact the bromine and you can test that overnight.

Good for them if they like it.
Ah. Interesting point on water “feel”. Was in it today and really didn’t notice a difference.

Great info guys, thanks.

One last, maybe dumb question. We preach no tablets / pucks at TFP (except if low CYA in pool and going away for a couple weeks)....Why is the industry so set on these pucks and in-line chlorinators then for daily use? Was the FC/CYA study more recent, which is why it is hard to change an industry that has used pucks for years? Or is it because the pucks are just relatively easy to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
The pool chemistry industry is just recently in the last couple of years agreeing that there is something they can learn from the FC/CYA relationship.

Pucks are made in to pucks because chlorine is actually a gas and they can't make it into easy-to-use pucks unless they add another ingredient. So its either adding calcium or stabilizer.

Chlorine gas is near impossible for pool owners to use, and few pool care companies use it.

Many years before pucks pool owners had big barrels of granular products to use in the pool.

SWG have been around since the 80's and there is *still* resistance to them by some pool builders...... silly huh?

Reactions: Dabrodas
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.