FAS-DPD test.

Jul 21, 2018
Fresno
I did a FAS-DPD chlorine test using the 25ml sample last night and this morning to check if my chlorine was dropping over night (it's not).
It was at 7.2ppm. That seemed higher than it should be so I did the 10ml test which I normally use and I got 5.5 ppm. Can anybody explain this difference to me? I did both test multiple times in the last 12 hours with almost the same results every time. Always with the 10ml sample lower. I usually base my adding of chlorine off a 10ml test but think now I marry be adding more chlorine than I need.

Thanks, I had been testing every evening attempting to determine how much chlorine I lose from UV each day. I’m searching for the pump run time and SWCG setting at my CYA level which in slightly low right now. Testing that frequently eats up testing supplies, more on the way.

I really appreciate reading the tips that you folks so generously share, thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unless you are very adept at agitating/swirling the water sample with one hand while adding drops of titrant with the other, you’re going to take too long to do the test. The test needs to be completed in roughly under 1 minute from the time you add the powder. The rate at which you add titrant should be constant at roughly one drop per second with the titrant bottle held completely vertical above the sample. The test is complete as soon as the sample goes from pink to clear. If it flashes back to pink slightly, you don’t add more titrant. You immediately add the 5 drops of R-0003 and then do the CC test titration. Again, all of this needs to be done in roughly under a minute.

A SpeedStir helps a lot. I also use the Taylor SampleSizer tool to make sure my water samples are exact a and repeatable every time.

Did the test again. 11 and 34. So 5.5 and 6.4. I washed my test tube with tap water before. I did 2 scoops in both. It's strange to me that they are not closer. I can't figure out what the variable is.
Tap water will have chlorine. Most likely, both FC and CC. Do not rinse your test tube with tap water before any test. Always rinse the test tube with pool water before a test. Of course, this small amount of residual chlorine from tap water would skew the test the opposite way. Matt has pointed out the most obvious thing, speed.

I'm curious on this myself. I have the speedstir, so I'm going to do a 10 vs 25 mL sample later tonight.

I've found that using a medicine cup with a 10 ml mark works great for the chlorine test. It's wide and short. I put the cup with water on a table, dispense the power then stir with the "spoon" while dispensing drops. I found this to be easy and very repeatable.

Reactions: bordelond

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.