Failed Pressure Gauge or bigger problem?

nhamp07

Bronze Supporter
Jul 24, 2018
New Braunfels, TX
Our low temp was 8 in this entire thing, never lost power for more than 85 minutes during the rolling blackouts. Nothing froze and no leaks now. However, I noticed during the cold the pressure on the filter was in the 30-40 range with the pump on freeze protect high mode. After it warmed up, I took apart the filter and cleaned it. With the lid on the ground the gauge read 20 PSI. When I put it back together, 20 seems to be the new zero and it goes up from there. Did the freeze kill the gauge or could there be a bigger problem I can't see?

*Most* gauges unscrew from the pressure release housing.

this one looks like it might not, but check the back of gauge itself to see if it’s 2 pieces or one. If it’s one piece (molded from the front half to the other with no seams) you’ll need the whole assembly
50A36F31-80B4-4914-8F4C-86F105BE4320.png

That is one of the annoying things about Jandy equipment. Their use of proprietary parts like that combination gauge and filter air relief valve so you have to buy their expensive replacement part instead of an a standard gauge.

Reactions: setsailsoon
By the pictures it looks to have a regular pipe thread but can't tell for sure. If in fact why can't the op replace with a regular psi gauge and just not have the air bleed portion of it. Personally I like the fact you can bleed out the air.

An air bleed valve is to bleed air out of the filter to assist in priming (or draining). All filters should have them and they are useful

A pressure relief valve is just like it says to relieve pressure......usually automatically and I can't figure out it's use in a pool. Turning off the pump does the same thing.

Perhaps we are getting mixed up by semantics. The most correct term for the valve that allows air to escape from the filter is "air relief valve"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.