Fafco solar bear vs papa bear

ohrats

Aug 7, 2020
Maryland
Hi all, I am looking to add solar heating to my pool and I was looking at the Fafco products specifically. There are two options: solar bear and papa bear. What are the differences? As far as I can see, the solar bear is 20x4 ft, while the papa bear js 24x4 ft. But the weird thing is the papa bear can be bought cheaper? That doesn’t make sense unless I’m missing something.

Sorry no. And they have some sort of valve integrated in them that really stumped me when I was helping someone else with theirs. Who would be the guy to ask about this, but I can't for the life of me find that thread. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for looking- alternatively, do you have any other panels to recommend in a similar price range? I have about 30x8 paved area next to my pool that I am not using anyway and it gets really hot, full sun all day, no shade at all. So I was going to put two of these panels there, just on the ground, plumb them to one of my returns, really easy setup. Just cannot justify the price of a heat pump heater, so this was going to be a cheap alternative (obviously not as good, but these panels are like 300 a piece so the investment is pretty minimal)

Thanks for looking- alternatively, do you have any other panels to recommend in a similar price range? I have about 30x8 paved area next to my pool that I am not using anyway and it gets really hot, full sun all day, no shade at all. So I was going to put two of these panels there, just on the ground, plumb them to one of my returns, really easy setup. Just cannot justify the price of a heat pump heater, so this was going to be a cheap alternative (obviously not as good, but these panels are like 300 a piece so the investment is pretty minimal)

I was basically in the same place you are - seeing all the panel options, seeing slight differences in descriptions and major differences in price, and unable to fully justify an electric heater based on where we live and budget.

I chose FAFCO simply because they are a known quantity. The price was great, and yes, I also wondered why the bigger panels were cheaper and no I don't have an explanation for it :) I just know the Papas work well, and are basically designed to be laid on the ground so it sounds to me like they're perfect for your situation. I know they make more panels but for on-ground, AGP installations, I got the impression from the lady I chatted with at FAFCO that the "Bear" line is ideal for us. I don't quite know the specifics as to why, but I tend to trust the company that's been doing this so long, and I also feel like they'll be around where some random Amazon mfr might not be.

You might be surprised how well these things can work when plumbed well and in the right location. It's not necessarily going to have you swimming two months early, but they are truly great products so far in my experience.

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.