Extremely high PH and high CC after adding polyquat

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
Last night, I added 30 Oz of Super Algeabomb 60 to my pool, which is a polyquat product. My FC was slightly above half shock level (14) so one of the moderators on here told me to add it at the maximum dosage allowed on the label. This morning, I tested my pool and FC dropped from 14 to 10, CC increased from .5 to 1.5 and PH is off the charts (I lowered PH to 7.4 2 hours before it was added) . The solution is a deep purple that I’ve never seen before. Is it normal for PH and CC to increase like this? Should I lower the PH or just leave it? (I’m out of acid so I hope not since I’m closing in a few hours). It is supposed to rain today and tomorrow and I have a mesh cover so I’m hoping the rain will lower the PH some. PH increased last year after adding it too but it didn’t increase as much as it did this time. Did PH increase more this time because my FC was higher this time (14 this year vs 8 last year)? Or did PH rise more this year because I added more to my pool (30 oz vs 24 oz) I haven’t added anything except muriatic acid in 3 days so I assume the polyquat is responsible for the PH and CC increase.

Last edited:
Last night, I added a quart of Super Algae Bomb 60 to my pool which is a polyquat product. This morning I tested my pool and FC went from 14 to 10, CC went from .5 to 1.5 and PH went from 7.4 to off the charts. The solution was a deep purple that I’ve never seen before. I haven’t added anything in 48 hours except muriatic acid so I assume the polyquat is responsible. Is this normal and will the PH go down over time? Do I need to lower the PH again before closing or will the rain that gets into the pool lower it over time? PH increased a little bit after adding it last year but it increased a lot more this year. Did PH increase more because FC was a little above half-shock level this year and at target level last year? Or did PH increase more this year because I added 32 oz of polyquat instead of 24 oz? Since this product apparently causes PH to rise, should I lower PH to lower than 7.4 before adding it in the future?

Chlorine and PQ interact. If you are closing your pool then you add the PQ to balanced water and close it. You don't try and balance your water after adding the PQ.

Your pH test is likely invalid so don't try and adjust it. Deep purple pH test is indicative of chlorine interference to the test.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.