southern utah
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,

I am not sure this is in the right forum so feel free to move it to the correct one if needed. I live in southern utah and we are subject to above 100 degrees in the summer time. My pool equipment is outside and exposed to the elements. I have noticed my PVC plumbing that is above ground is beginning to yellow from the heat. I have had my pool for about 1 1/2 years. How concern should I be that the heat will degrade my pipes and cause issues in the future? I would like to build some type of enclosure but where my pool equipment is makes it difficult to. Is there a paint spray or something that I can apply to help with the UV protection? Thanks in advance!

It's generally recommended to paint or cover PVC above ground. I think good ol' exterior latex paint can be used. Mine were sprayed with spray paint. Covering with an enclosure is better, and that'll protect your other gear, too.

Technically, PVC is not rated for exposure, and is designed to be underground only (depending on the type of PVC), but I've gotten into debate here when I posted that previously. Regardless, painting your pipes will not harm them and will solve the yellowing, if only cosmetically.

Here's an article a pulled. I found it on the 'net, so it must be true. It basically said, yes, it will degrade when exposed to sunlight, but not in a way that will affect its pressure-handling capability (which is probably why some here disagreed that sun on PVC matters).

Personally, I don't like looking at the purple glue and the drips and the red lettering, so I'd paint mine even if for no other reason than that.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.