Albuquerque NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
o_O What , exactly ,... is “floating the shell?”
It sounds ominous.
Albuquerque is at 5000 feet elevation, High Dessert and all that, doncha know, low water table means most pools can’t be much more than 5 feet deep, not many diving boards.

Okay, so another few questions:
1. Do I need to be in attendance while this process is going on?
2. Any idea at all how long this might take? Ballpark idea? I realize it depends on GPM from the sump pump. What about GPM from the fill hose? I usually use 2 fill hoses but it sounds like we want still waters for it to work. The 5 gallon bucket is placed in the shallow end, with the top of it above the water level, with the fill water going into the bucket, so that it sorta oozes over the edge so as to not cause any turbulence, right?
3. I don’t think my sump pump is submersible, is this a problem?
4. How do I know it’s working and I have it set up correctly? I would hate to go hours and gallons just to find out I did it wrong.
5. I called the water authority, we are on conservation status, only no penalty month for pool fills is April. It’s estimated to cost me about $200-$300 to do this.? No rest for the wicked I guess.
6. Does the distance the effluvent water has to travel come into the equation?
6. Any of you experts in ALBUQUERQUE for the holiday and want a side job??

2. Any idea at all how long this might take? Ballpark idea? I realize it depends on GPM from the sump pump. What about GPM from the fill hose? I usually use 2 fill hoses but it sounds like we want still waters for it to work. The 5 gallon bucket is placed in the shallow end, with the top of it above the water level, with the fill water going into the bucket, so that it sorta oozes over the edge so as to not cause any turbulence, right?
4. How do I know it’s working and I have it set up correctly? I would hate to go hours and gallons just to find out I did it wrong.
5. I called the water authority, we are on conservation status, only no penalty month for pool fills is April. It’s estimated to cost me about $200-$300 to do this.? No rest for the wicked I guess.

This is going to take a long time to fill. My 29k gallon pool using 2 hoses took 36 hours. If you are using one hose my guess is right around 30 hours. Do a 5 gallon bucket test. That is, fill the bucket (remove the hose nozzle, hose on full blast) and time how long it takes. Once you know that, you can multiply it by your pool volume. 14580 / 5 = 2916. So if it takes 1 minute to fill the 5 gallon bucket, that would be 1 x 2916 so 2916 minutes or 48.6 hours.

You will need a submersible pump or else the pump needs to have an extension hose to reach to the bottom of the deep end.

Another, quicker option, is if you have pool water that can be delivered. I think that is usually in 5k gallon trucks. So 3 trucks. If that is available, I would rent a large gas pump that can empty your pool in an hour. Empty and immediately fill (have trucks ready to go). Others can chime in if this is doable.

Only if something goes wrong.

It depends what is the lowest flowing hose - the pump or the fill. You have to determine it and calculate the time needed.

Yes, if you need to pump from the deep end.

You can't. You have to trust the science of it. Key is properly determine if your fill water or pool water is heavier.

5. I called the water authority, we are on conservation status, only no penalty month for pool fills is April. It’s estimated to cost me about $200-$300 to do
this.? No rest for the wicked I guess.

That is inexpensive compared to the alternatives.

No.

Let us know if you get volunteers. I think the TFP traveling drain crew is booked solid.

Another, quicker option, is if you have pool water that can be delivered. I think that is usually in 5k gallon trucks. So 3 trucks. If that is available, I would rent a large gas pump that can empty your pool in an hour. Empty and immediately fill (have trucks ready to go). Others can chime in if this is doable.

That will work. Around here it costs $450 for a 7K water truck load. So cost for that would be in the $1,000 - $1,500 range.

Water delivery in ALBUQUERQUE is $550 per truck, 4100 gallons per truck, they recommend 4 trucks, soooo,$2200 plus tax.
Called the guy at the pool store for grins, on the phone said $375 to drain (via my pump) and power wash, no worries about plaster cracking on this old pool, probably 2 days to fill with 2 hoses. Does not recommend acid wash unless I hate the way it looks. Says he’s been doing it I ALBUQUERQUE for 20 years, hasn’t had plaster crack yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.