"Extra" gunite

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

We're gearing up to have a resurface with new tile and coping installed. We've got an area of steps that we're turning into a bit of a sundeck and pushing the steps out, as well as filling in a spa to create a secondary sundeck as well. The contractor we're pretty much decided on wants to use gunite (half of the bids we got would use gunite)- we're going to be paying a flat fee for a gunite truck to roll out, and we've got lots of "leftover" gunite allocated that we're trying to figure out if there's anything we could do with it... so the question is, what would YOU do? Are rock forms an option? Could I frame out an equipment pad for them to fill in (everyhting's sitting on pavers right now)?

Thanks!

We considered adding a sundeck, in-pool benches, bumped out steps, etc, with our current remodel but it was over our budget. However, we did dream about what we would do "since the truck would be there anyway" so I see where you're coming from! I think the pad is definitely doable. We also had a retaining wall to be rebuilt at bench height (which was already gunite with a rock facade). Since we aren't getting the gunite truck, it will be concrete block faced with stone, but that may be an option, to create benches or firepit or lounge area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.