Extension cord for 110-120V and 3.2 A recommendations

emejia317

May 16, 2020
Visalia
I purchase the Bestway 22x12x4 Costco pool. I will be moving to a new home next year, so an extension cord is the best option for now. My question is: the pump has that information (110-120V, 3.2 A). Which extension cord would be best for this requirement? A 10 gauge or 12 gauge? Is there such things as timers that I could purchase for this?

Also, if the extension cord will be plugged in a GFCI outlet; does the extension cord have to be GFCI?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

sammckin

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2019
WV
You could get a timer for it, they have all kinds at the big box stores. You should unplug it while you're swimming at the very least.

WilliamD

Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2020
Leicester, MA
To get the proper Gauge extension cord, we would have to know the length needed from pump to outlet because we already know your Amp rating ....Also, it would not be a special GFI extension cord; just a regular 3 prong plug.

emejia317

May 16, 2020
Visalia
The length is approximately 50 to 75 feet.
To get the proper Gauge extension cord, we would have to know the length needed from pump to outlet because we already know your Amp rating ....Also, it would not be a special GFI extension cord; just a regular 3 prong plug.

WilliamD

Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2020
Leicester, MA
You can actually get away with a 14 Gauge Medium Duty Extension Cord....If it will make you feel safer...get the 12....the 10 is definitely overkill...All the Best! I forgot to add...make sure the cord says it is either medium or heavy duty...I would not recommend using a light duty cord!

Last edited:

jcp

Aug 14, 2012
Mid Missouri
3.2A at 50-75’, standard 16AWG would be fine. 14AWG would be a step up for peace of mind. 12-10AWG would be completely unnecessary unless you wanted to have for something else besides your pool pump.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.