Extemely high Combined Chlorine

Aug 30, 2018
Kingwood/TX
Had copper stains and used PinchAPenney Stop Stains to try to remove. After 11 days ph below 6.5 (maybe lower) got algae bloom. Stains reduced by 50-60%. Was advised to raise TA and PH and then shock pool. Raised TA to 100, PH to 7.2. Then was advised to add 5lbs shock. Water turned from cloudy green to mildly cloudy blue. Advised to add 1 lb shock and water turned clear blue. TA at 100, PH at 7.4, FC at 1.5, CC at 20+, CYA at 50. Calcium hardness at 395 and TDS at 800. I am using Taylor K-2006 Kit. Will CC go down by itself over time? Can I use breakpoint chlorination (raise to 10 times CC of 20+ or over 200ppm). How much shock in a 18,000 gal pool? Thanks JohnM

breadman
your fc is seriously low and terms such as breakpoint chlorination show you are misunderstanding pool care
here is some light reading for you

"Can I raise it to 200+ ppm chlorine?" is the wrong question. You probably can - and severely damage your pool and equipment while you are doing it. But, why? That's gotta be about 400 gallons of 12.5% - one, that's over a thousand dollars, it would be cheaper to drain/exchange and replace the water. Two, that's a lotta trips back and forth to the store. Not to mention the added volume and salt in your pool. But mostly, think about the expense of destroying your pool surface and equipment.

Thanks to all for your responses. I will treat CC as FC and just allow the CC to go away. I will continue to test. Thanks Aussieta since I forgot to adjust FC required level for CYA. And thanks to CrystalRiver. I really didn't think I could or should raise chlorine level to 200 but was just asking to make sure I did Understand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.