Expand and purge winterizing plugs

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Does anyone know where to get the "expand and purge" type of winterizing plug (the kind you can pressurize with an air compressor) now that everything4pools.com is out of business? A quick google search didn't turn up anything.

PoolGuyNJ

TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
Winterizing plugs with air valves tend to leak. The only place I use them is on certain Paramount systems that require special semi trapazoidial shaped plugs.

Scott

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
It sounds like you are talking about the Gizzmo Ultra Swimming Pool Skimmer Guard. A Google search turns up many places to get them.

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Thanks for the replies.

PoolGuy - I know they leak, but it's the only way I've found to get my main drain to "blow bubbles" when I'm winterizing.

Jason - It's definitely not a gizmo. It's a black rubber winterizing plug with a tire valve stem on it so you can attach an air compressor to it. Waste recommended them a couple of years ago when I first started posting here.

If I can't find one, it's no big deal...I'll just have to find a new solution for blowing out my main drain. :)

PoolGuyNJ

TFP Expert
May 20, 2007
South Central NJ
A shop vac in blower mode and valving it off will trap air below the frost line. If the valve leaks, I put a plug in the pump to stop the leak. If air leaks out of the valve body, it should be replaced.

Scott

Other Threads of Interest