Excessive scale in salt water pool

Sep 10, 2020
Chicago, IL
Hello,

I have a salt-water pool. Every summer, beginning around July 4, I notice scale powder begin to collect on one area of the pool floor. The amount of scale gradually increases over the next several months. Toward August, I notice that the chlorinator is so packed with scale that it hardly produces any chlorine. If I acid wash, scale will build up again by the next weekend. Also, at about this time of year, there is scale powder on much of the pool floor.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here? Any thoughts on what I can do to prevent this in the future?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Here are my numbers:

Combine Chlorine - 0

Free Chlorine - 1.0

PH Level - 8.0

Total Alkalinity - 8.0

Turbidity - 0

Cyanuric Acid Level - 0

Calcium Hardness - 230

Salt - 3800 ppm

I believe the pool maintenance guy added a gallon of Muriatic Acid after taking these numbers. The pool/spa combo is roughly 37,000 gallons.

Thanks again,

Hey there, Welcome to TFP :)

That scale is happening because the people taking care of your pool ARE NOT taking care of your pool, they are taking your money and going to the next pool and taking there money...

If you want to take care of your pool so this stops happening we can do that :) You will need to order a test kit, I recommend the TF 100 Test Kits Compared

Once you receive your kit jump in and start doing your tests and post back here.. I bet your levels are all out of wack… but we will get you going...

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

How does that sound? (y)

Reactions: mickey4paws
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.