Ever wonder what biofilm looks like?

So cross Hot Springs Spas off your list of recommended hot tubs, eh? 😂

Definitely looks like a terrible way to design a shell. Easy for them to manufacture but terrible for the owner.
Hot springs has always been my most hated tub to fix (I have been known to refer them out when I am busy), but plumbing leaks are far less common in them than any other brand I am familiar with. So while I personally dislike working on them, and not just for the reasons you might think from this thread, I can't argue with their longevity in general. I see far more 20+ year old hot springs than any other brand. This one is an '02, and was still running original pumps (jet and circulation), controller (though the auxiliary control is bad as usual), and main board. The motor base was literally rusted off of the jet pump from sitting in water for so long, the plumbing was holding it up.
And this came into my possession because it was frozen. From the damage I'd say they opened the main drain but not the plumbing drain and left it for the winter. I dug out foam beneath this leak to expose the cracked pipes. It is likely this shell crack, with the high density foam still supporting it, was so small it went unnoticed. I only know it has been leaking for quite some time by the discoloration of the foam. Much older than the freeze damage.
So, I would still recommend them, in spite of my love/hate relationship (I love to hate them).
It's not the end of the world. I can fix it, and even improve on it to prevent a repeat. But it's a big project on a tub I am already over-invested in time-wise. So invested I can't NOT fix it now.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Sorry to leave you all hangin', my internet has been down. That's the price you pay to live in my little piece of heaven. ;)
I'll get right to it.
20201119_144244.jpg20201119_144307.jpg
I have to say, @Ahhsomeguy , that I am impressed. In 25 years of spa surgery I have never seen such clean pipes. They almost look new. There's still a speck here and there, but WOW, did it ever live up to the hype in my opinion. (y):cheers:
As for the :brickwall: shell crack:
20201119_155337.jpg
All sanded off.
20201119_162941.jpg
2 layers of JBweld with fiberglass mesh.
20201120_162351.jpg
Wood framing with a small gap for sprayfoam between seat and wood.
Completed the other pvc repairs and am ready to set back on blocks (it's on its side for repairs) and fill for the (hopefully) last time.
@JoyfulNoise , I made a (bad) video of the purge, but my internet is too slow to load it to youtube. I'll try again next time I am in town and have a phone signal.

To all forum readers: RDspaguy has performed his "purge test" on an 18 year old hot tub that was, IMHO, was neglected by the previous owner(s). Based on the fact that it was left to the elements and froze, creating a gigantic mess to repair, it was a hot tub that was probably not maintained to the traditional standards we all strive to achieve. Obviously, I am biased as I am the manufacturer of the Ahh-Some products, but there was no question that RD's test would validate what many hot tub owners, dealers and manufacturers already know. Our product does work and work's fast. We perform a chemical plumbing colonoscopy that is extremely effective. Not to beat a dead horse here but it should be noted that test results by America's leading biofilm engineering university, Montana State in Bozeman, has written that the Ahh-Some is over 5,000 times more effective in bio-remediation than one of the leading brands I shall not name here. These test results are online if you investigate. Actually, we have much test data on numerous other competitive products as well. Thank You RD for your efforts. Your "in the field" trial and inspection was performed without bias or for profit motives. You are a well-respected forum contributor whose postings are based on your many years of "on the job" experience. Thank you.

No need to thank me, @Ahhsomeguy , had your product not done it's job I would have posted the proof just as surely as I posted the success. I am pleased it lived up to my expectations, as I have been recommending it based on other people's opinion if it. Now I have MY OWN opinion, and can speak from experience. I appreciate your eagerness to participate in my little challenge.:goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is Ahh-mazing, those pipes look brand new.... I just did my cloths washer last night with ahhsome so it should looks the same...
How much did u use ? Front load or top load? I have a front loader & I’m skeered of the foam 😬

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
How much did u use ? Front load or top load? I have a front loader & I’m skeered of the foam 😬

I have a large top loader. I use about 1/2 tsp along with a half full bleach dispenser on the “Affresh Clean” cycle (it has a dedicated clean cycle). No major foam. When it’s done, my washer smells squeaky clean.

The majority of the foam in a spa comes from aeration by the jets. A washing machine doesn’t have jets so aeration is very limited.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Leaks fixed, insulation in, cabinet on.
20201125_161344.jpg20201125_161410.jpg20201125_161440.jpg
I also noticed that this control has the pre-2009 temp override, and will heat to 108* (ut-4).
20201125_161553.jpg
That's a selling point to the right buyer. It truly amazes me that people could want it that high, I keep mine at 102*. 😁

sweat and adult words
Well, it's been chilly, but there were ample adult words involved. ;)
Thanks everyone for your interest in my little experiment. I am still trying to figure out this video thing. Turns out my phone split up my recording into 4 parts. Not sure why, but I need to splice them back up and edit out the half wherein there is nothing happening and all you can see is the back of my head. 😁 I am a really bad video maker... At one point I forgot the camera was running. :rolleyes:

The fixtures look brand new, white & clean. Would not have expected that on a used tub. Did you replace them?

Just did an Ahh-some treatment on our brand new tub ........just because ! I had a half a vessel left over from treating our old tub a few months ago, so I figured, wth, might as well give the brand new tub the Ahh-some treatment .
Surprisingly , even though it was a brand new tub , still had a bunch of the manufacturing gunk get pulled out !
This Ahh-some hot tub cleaner is , well ........ AWESOME ! Have used other so called "tub cleaners" in the past, and they have basically did nothing !

wRFq83MvTcKF+OQlF7NwUA.jpg7gOgz9Z0QUitycu62igmBQ.jpgvpkaX5S6SmyL3pEAAT8Vvw.jpg

• Wow
TFP always recommends that new tubs be purged. They use a lot of glues and greases in the assembly process and then the plumbing is pressure tested. The water is never fully drained but left to sit in the plumbing while the tub waits to be sold. Bacteria can easily grow in these dark and humid environments. As you discovered, a new tub can have plenty of crud in the plumbing. Getting rid of that junk will only help you to balance the water more quickly and easily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.