Ever Heard of Using Root Out in Pools?

JIMNSC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
Hi guys - long time no type to. Some people around me are using a product called "Root Out" in lieu of algaecide in their pools and swear by it. It is a product designed for septic tanks. Any of you experts know anything about it?

Still have ultra high CYA on pool opening but I'll just have to work on it little by little like last summer.

Jim

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Root out is copper-sulfate. It's an excellent algaecide, but of course it carries all the problems of copper in pool water. Green hair and staining of the pool.

JasonLion

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
There isn't normally any need for algaecide, so no need for an alternative. If you maintain proper chlorine levels you won't get algae, so why bother with algaecide?

JIMNSC

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
South Carolina
Good points, John and Jason. The wife and I have an aquaintance who has a new pool and has had a friend tell her to use Root Out as an algaecide and I had never heard of it. I have faithfully used algaecide once/week since I had my pool constructed but I agree, Jason, now that you have have informed me, why use algaecide at all when proper chlorine levels prevent it?

Thanks Guys - Jim