evaporation

bradly1166

Jul 12, 2009
i am loosing 2-3 in of water a day in my 24 round. is that normal? i assume that is is because of evaporation but i am not sure. also we have had some very hot days lately temps getting up in the 100's. i just wanna make sure i dont have a leak

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Where are you located, and how much sun exposure does the pool get in hours daily?

Add a sig line in your profile so we know what you have and can help.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
2-3" is a lot of evaporation. I' suggest you do a bucket test.

1. Fill a 5 gal bucket about 2/3rds full of water.[/*:m:lu8cqm7b]
  2. Place the bucket on the top step in your pool.[/*:m:lu8cqm7b]
  3. Carefully mark or measure the water level in the bucket.[/*:m:lu8cqm7b]
  4. Carefully mark or measure the level in your pool.[/*:m:lu8cqm7b]
  5. Wait about a day and measure the levels again.[/*:m:lu8cqm7b]
If the bucket and pool loses the same amount it's evaporation. If the pool loses more than the bucket you have a leak.

bradly1166

Jul 12, 2009
i am in south carolina and the pool is in direct sunlight about 80% of the day. my wife says that it is more like 2-3 in every 2-3 days. that still seems kinda high to me.
I will try to do the bucket test in a couple days. i never thought of that. i have looked for a wet spot around the pool but can not find one but i guess i could still have a leak even thought i cant see water on the ground any where

bradly1166

Jul 12, 2009
well i found out where my water was going. when the pump runs at night it leaks out of the discharge hose. what would cause that?

bradly1166

Jul 12, 2009
yep that is where it is leaking at. it only leaks out there when the pump runs and it is a slow stady stream.