evaporation rates in and around Houston

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I hope everyone is safe....

My spa seems to have more than normal evap rates...is anyone else in or around the Houston area experiencing the same thing? My spa also faces the S dominate winds and is 2 ft higher than pool...havent done bucket test but will soon. I tried a dye test early in morning and nothing around all 8 jets showed anything. But, I could not get near the light or 2 drains before the dye fizzled.

Thanks for your input and best to all,
tstex

Thanks guys...yes, many variables but the wind has been tough around here lately or in intervals / one real windy day, the infamous EcoStar flipped my breaker and spa was down real low w no water pumped in thereafter. I was out of town & both adult daughters & wife passed by remote flashing "Check System" but never noticed it

Lately, the water level in the spa has been much lower than I've ever noticed since 2015./ that is of course in the early morning since pump cuts off at 1145pm daily.

Winds have been high here. I'm leaving town today and back Wed Aftn. I'll perform a bucket test at 1146pm Wed nite & post back / thx M

Are you having to add water to the pool due to this evaporation? Or is the spa draining down to the pool during this time?

The spa usually has a constant water level since it fills & spills over into pool / therefore, there's a waterline of light Calcium when spa is full, and when water goes down, it's very noticeable...the last few times the water line has been notably lower. The spa has never fully drained (into pool).

As you can see, spa is much higher than pool & the spa side is S side where winds are greatest / hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just jumped back into TFP as I'm investigating evaporation rates here in Austin. Good calculators referenced here and I will do the bucket test.

As for the particular issue/question covered here, I've had the case several times over the past years where the spa level would begin to drop overnight (pump not running and no spillway action for some time). I tracked that down to a leaky check valve allowing the higher level of water in the spa to drain back into the pool. Easy fix to repair the guts of a check valve. I think this was where Marty was trying to go.

Well, I packed the spa light niche w pool putty & around the drain screw receptacles and the spa still looks to be leaking

Went to the E-pad and examined the 2 Ck values and, to me, none of them seem to be open or allowing water flow..is there something specific I should be looking to see? How can you troubleshoot closed Ck valves.

The spa is raised. The spa is about 90 to 100 ft from equipment pad. Terrain is all flat.

Thank you, tstex

Marty & TX Austin seem to be correct..ck valve btw the spa & pool was pulled and the rubber gasket on the end was pretty bad...I tried looking thru the glass lens to see if water was leaking and could not detect anything, but apparently it was I believe. I cannot make a full determination until we have a night of no rain. The ck-valve was replaced yesterday but we had rain last night...the spa level this morning was what I normally see prior to the water decreases.

To conclude, I have come to understand that the inside of the replaceable ck valves go bad in about 5 yrs. I did not understand this from the prior posts. So if you are reading this and your spillover spa or higher spa water line than your pool shows water loss due to gravity from hi to low, AND your ck valve is in the 3-5 yr range, this is something you need to pull out and check. My visual inspection was not good enough.

Thanks again to the TFP forum folks, tstex

Glad you were able to solve your problem. My case was the same. I couldn't detect any backflow through the check valve visually but suspected that might be the cause. Disassembly was easy and it showed some deterioration. I'm sure chlorine does that over time. The local pool supply store has replacement guts if you need them in a hurry albeit at a much higher price. I've gotten my replacements from spavalve.com as they are a much better price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.