Evaporation or Leak?

Jun 15, 2016
Washington, il
I have a above ground pool, 54 deep, 18 by 36 foot oval. I am refilling my pool every 3rd day, no usage. What is considered typical evaporation?
No visible bubbles are coming up from the bottom. No leaks on pump or lines, got them all fixed with tape.
Thought about putting a piece of tape on my liner so I could measure it.

Climate? Rain, Sun , Wind, Cloudy, etc?
I get 3/4" to 1 inch of evaporation a day here. But my climate is much different than yours.

I live in central Illinois.
So I am judging this based on what I see on the skimmer. There is 4 screws on the side, I like it to be on or above the 3rd screw, it will drop down to the 2nd screw and the pump will suck air sometimes. So I like to stay above that 2nd screw by an inch or so.

I live in central Illinois.
So I am judging this based on what I see on the skimmer. There is 4 screws on the side, I like it to be on or above the 3rd screw, it will drop down to the 2nd screw and the pump will suck air sometimes. So I like to stay above that 2nd screw by an inch or so.
Is your pool heated? I live in southeastern IL, until I turned the heater on last week I wasn’t losing any noticeable water to evaporation with the cool weather we have been having, the pool temp was in the low 70’s. Now with the heater on and the water temp in the mid 80’s I am losing about 1/2 inch a day. I don’t cover my pool.

When in doubt about a leak do a bucket test.

Reactions: mknauss
Is your pool heated? I live in southeastern IL, until I turned the heater on last week I wasn’t losing any noticeable water to evaporation with the cool weather we have been having, the pool temp was in the low 70’s. Now with the heater on and the water temp in the mid 80’s I am losing about 1/2 inch a day. I don’t cover my pool.

When in doubt about a leak do a bucket test.
Bucket test?

I'm a bit North of you and have been getting between ¼"-½" loss per day. That's with heater set at 80°F and no solar cover on. (pool has been hitting 87°F in afternoon).

Try throwing a solar cover on and see if it impacts the loss.
I was convinced last summer that I had a leak. I had to throw my solar cover on the pool when my heater went out (3 month lead time on part due to COVID)... surprisingly, my loss stopped. Yup was losing about an inch in the pool each day and once I started putting the cover on/off each day, I didn't have to add water for nearly 2 weeks. The bucket test is great for determining if you have smaller leaks as well.

Last year a neighbor had a leak we couldn't find after a couple weeks of trying, he called a company with a sonic leak detector. Took them less than 10 min to find a very small tear in his liner and patch it.
Good luck.

Reactions: golfer8866
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.