Evaporation during cold windy low humidity...

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
Expect much more evaporation vs. stagnant humid summer days? I had a leak test and they fixed it but now with cold windy low humidity I am losing about 1/2" per day again...autofill keeping up. Almost a constant drip from autofill.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
1/4 to 1/2” per day is not unusual. I lose 1” or more per day in summer. We have essentially zero humidity year around.

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
1/4 to 1/2” per day is not unusual. I lose 1” or more per day in summer. We have essentially zero humidity year around.
Dang...1" a day....ouch. Hopefully when we get back to the hot humid days of Houston my evaporation will be around 1/4". Thanks!

setsailsoon

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Wind has a huge impact on evaporation, dry wind is even worse.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Do you have a solar cover? That will cut down any evaporation almost completely. You can get one for ~$100 - cheaper than a leak detection company!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
Do you have a solar cover? That will cut down any evaporation almost completely. You can get one for ~$100 - cheaper than a leak detection company!
Thanks. I
Thanks. PB paid for leak detection. And I would rather pay for water than have to mess with a cover when I want to look out my windows and see the pool.

1poolman1

In The Industry
Jul 14, 2014
Sacramento
You can also use a "liquid" solar cover. They retard evaporation up to 50%. In the days of our California drought (when is it not?) our local water companies asked us to have our customers use it. I have been doing so for 15 years with no issues. They used to form a slightly cloudy "sheen" to the water in colder weather but I haven't seen that in years.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
You can also use a "liquid" solar cover.
I tried that stuff. Did not work well for me. But we have wind of some kind at about all times.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.